MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Profile Look
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was designing a custom profile look. So far it is like this, but I really want your professional ideas to enhance it a bit more...

Self Profile:

[Image: bYYj4.png]

Other's Profile:

[Image: RhMLB.png]

Any further suggestions?
If you have template conditionals installed, why don't you put in an edit profile link? Time spent online and referrals are unneeded really. If anything, get rid of time spent online entirely and make referrals visible only to the Admin (the only person who'd need to view them).

Also, why is your Personal Info tab red (yours, not JeTa's), if you don't mind my asking? Smile
I think the red tab is a hover state.

Looking good. I'm unsure if this is a new theme you're going to release, or if it's for your personal site. So I don't have much feedback in regards to what you should change. Style-wise, I think it looks fine.
I always wonder why people implement tabs in the profile. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of useless information and compress the profile onto a single page? Four clicks to see a person's complete profile is insane.
I do it because I don't want a lot of vertical scrolling going on. I have About Me, Character Profile, and a Guestbook (for comments). Having all of those on one page would look pretty bad. I could get rid of the Guestbook, but once I start fleshing out the Character Profile tab, there will still be massive scrolling. You can read some of the Character Bios in our role-playing section to see how long just a background story can end up being.

Otherwise, I do agree that they shouldn't be used if there isn't a need for them.
The whole reason tabs are used (whethere in the profile or on the homepage) is because they are different and subjectively cool. This is what users/customers respond to, it isn't always about whats best practically. Aethetics matter also. It's almost like fashion, there are trends and popularities. Tabs will probably be out of fashion pretty soon anyway.
(2012-11-11, 02:44 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]If you have template conditionals installed, why don't you put in an edit profile link? Time spent online and referrals are unneeded really. If anything, get rid of time spent online entirely and make referrals visible only to the Admin (the only person who'd need to view them).

Thats good idea, That can be done if I make a tutorial on that. But I can't implement on a theme such a feature which is a third party plugin dependent, right?

(2012-11-11, 02:44 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]Also, why is your Personal Info tab red (yours, not JeTa's), if you don't mind my asking? Smile

Answer Big Grin :
(2012-11-11, 05:29 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]I think the red tab is a hover state.

(2012-11-11, 05:29 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]Looking good. I'm unsure if this is a new theme you're going to release, or if it's for your personal site. So I don't have much feedback in regards to what you should change. Style-wise, I think it looks fine.

I'm doing it, ofcourse in a personal site, But there is nothing I can't make public if they like it. I am experimenting on that theme's layout and if I ever get satisfied and prople likes, I'll surely make a release.

Another off-topic instance of custom layout, the postbit :p :

[Image: PG29A.png]

(2012-11-11, 05:32 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I always wonder why people implement tabs in the profile. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of useless information and compress the profile onto a single page? Four clicks to see a person's complete profile is insane.

Sad Sir, I thought the tabs are important on that point only. Just grab the unnecessary info from the default visible and throw in to the additional tabs ...

I'm not a great fan of that tab thing, I made that because people ask for tabbed profile often.
Sir ESR360 stated the exact explanation what I thought :p
I use a tabbed profile for the same reason Tecca does - I have about me, guestbook, board activity, uploads and social. If the member has no access to/or uploads in an area then they don't have a tab visible.

Still a long way to go on my profiles though.