MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help me(SOLVED)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok so I have bought a domain and web hosting but for some reason I can't install mybb the host says they have softalicious and with that you can download mybb from there but all they have is punbb,aef,smf. I even tryed to load the files into 4-5 different areas in the ftp and it still doesn't work so can someone help me?

The domain is playlostnation and when I go to the website it always brings me to this page http://playlostnation.com/defaultsite

I also read the help document on the wiki and I followed it to the point and tryed to go to playlostnation.com/mybb/install and it gives me a 404 error so please help me

EDIT: I was able to find out how to correctly foward my domain so now it works thanks alot guys!
You should just change your host.

Btw about your problem, are you sure you uploaded files in public_html folder in your File Manager?
(2012-11-12, 09:34 PM)JovanJ. Wrote: [ -> ]You should just change your host.

Btw about your problem, are you sure you uploaded files in public_html folder in your File Manager?
Yes I put it in public html and I can't change my host because I work for the company and get free web hosting from them.
the domain appears to be a 1&1 domain have you pointed it to where your webspace is? who is your web host?
Can you tell me what is the name of folder you uploaded? Is it called "Upload" or you renamed it to "MyBB" ?

http://docs.mybb.com/Help-Upload_Directory.html

Quote:When uploading your forum data to your webserver, you may have accidentally uploaded the actual "Upload" directory instead of just uploading the contents of that directory. While there is nothing wrong with this, it does give you a strange looking URL, and on Linux webservers, can cause unexpected 404 errors due to the directory name having an uppercase U, and most users typing URLs in pure lowercase.

I guess maybe is that a problem.

(2012-11-12, 09:47 PM)hagz Wrote: [ -> ]the domain appears to be a 1&1 domain have you pointed it to where your webspace is? who is your web host?

And yes about that, can you try to delete that index page from your webhosting so we can be sure you are pointing in right direction?
(2012-11-12, 09:47 PM)JovanJ. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me what is the name of folder you uploaded? Is it called "Upload" or you renamed it to "MyBB" ?

Quote:When uploading your forum data to your webserver, you may have accidentally uploaded the actual "Upload" directory instead of just uploading the contents of that directory. While there is nothing wrong with this, it does give you a strange looking URL, and on Linux webservers, can cause unexpected 404 errors due to the directory name having an uppercase U, and most users typing URLs in pure lowercase.

(2012-11-12, 09:47 PM)hagz Wrote: [ -> ]the domain appears to be a 1&1 domain have you pointed it to where your webspace is? who is your web host?

And yes about that, can you try to delete that index page from your webhosting so we can be sure you are pointing in right direction?
My webhosting is vps4less.co.uk and the index page in my public_html is already deleted. the folder name is mybb and by pointing the domain to where my webservers are do I change the webservers of the domain to the webservers of my host?
(2012-11-12, 09:50 PM)Supersean Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-12, 09:47 PM)JovanJ. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me what is the name of folder you uploaded? Is it called "Upload" or you renamed it to "MyBB" ?

My webhosting is vps4less.co.uk and the index page in my public_html is already deleted.

Ok, can you then make new index.html page and write in it just Hello (make it in public_html)?
you need to make sure that your domain name is pointing to the right URL of the forum. you should go into your 1&1 control panel and select your domain and in the destination tab edit it so that it points to the right place.
(2012-11-12, 09:53 PM)hagz Wrote: [ -> ]you need to make sure that your domain name is pointing to the right URL of the forum. you should go into your 1&1 control panel and select your domain and in the destination tab edit it so that it points to the right place.
OK so I found the edit destination part but do I make it go to my domain or my webhost domain? Also should I leave the dns area alone? I also uploaded a index file to the public html folder and nothing has change.

Also I have never created the forum yet and I exactly don't know where I forward the domain to.

Bump?