MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the purpose of a friendly redirection page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Always wondered what was the purpose of a friendly redirection page? ... besides a chance to add adsense into it which violates adsense placement policies.
To confirm that an action was completed successfully.
I think this explanation makes sense.

(2012-09-30, 02:53 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]These are the remnants of the dail-up days. The idea was a short message page like that would load quickly so to prevent people from clicking over and over again they implemented them (because the page they wanted could take awhile).

http://community.mybb.com/thread-126928.html
(2012-11-13, 01:58 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I think this explanation makes sense.

(2012-09-30, 02:53 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]These are the remnants of the dail-up days. The idea was a short message page like that would load quickly so to prevent people from clicking over and over again they implemented them (because the page they wanted could take awhile).

So I take it as flood protection?
(2012-11-13, 02:01 PM)Californian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-13, 01:58 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I think this explanation makes sense.

So I take it as flood protection?

That was pretty much why it was initially implemented, but MyBB has it's own flood control for various functions. Nowadays it's more of a confirmation message, for example when you reset your password unless it's enabled you'll just be redirected to the index page.
In this day and age, it isn't needed and I disable it on new forums. MyBB is old software though, back in 2002 slower internet was still abundant in homes.
The default should be off IMO
I think it should remain in use on certain things (such as password reset for example), just to confirm that the action was done as a quick redirection back to the index page with no message at all would be kind of odd IMO. But on the new post/thread i think it should be turned off, because when it redirects you you'll actually be able to see the new post/thread you made as confirmation.
Increase page views on Google Analytics, haha!
(2012-11-17, 08:46 PM)InfernoSoft Wrote: [ -> ]I think it should remain in use on certain things (such as password reset for example), just to confirm that the action was done as a quick redirection back to the index page with no message at all would be kind of odd IMO. But on the new post/thread i think it should be turned off, because when it redirects you you'll actually be able to see the new post/thread you made as confirmation.

Stuff like this should be done with a modal or notification bar though.
Pages: 1 2 3