MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Debate about dedicated IP hosting and search engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know it'd be a wise choice to get a dedicated IP regardless because it gives other benefits such as not having to share one IP with countless other shared hosting clients and clustered downtime.

But one thing I'd like to get confirmation on is that do dedicated IP's help bring your website up the search engine ladder results?
I've never seen any kind of direct link between IPs and SERs personally. Could be wrong though.
The only thing I could see harming you is if a site on the same server gets blocked for some reason.
(2012-11-13, 05:45 PM)Californian Wrote: [ -> ]But one thing I'd like to get confirmation on is that do dedicated IP's help bring your website up the search engine ladder results?

Not at all. Most people won't be able to get one - there is a distinct lack of free IPv4, hence the (too slow, too late) move to IPv6. In the near future it may be possible that multiple dedicated servers will have to share a single IP behind a NAT/http proxy.

What matters though is site speed. Everyone likes fast sites - Google is no exception. And you're more likely to have a fast site on a server that is not overloaded with thousands of domains.

So it's not so much a dedicated IP you need but a hosting solution that is good enough to serve your pages quickly.
(2012-11-13, 06:54 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]What matters though is site speed. Everyone likes fast sites - Google is no exception. And you're more likely to have a fast site on a server that is not overloaded with thousands of domains.

I've been using Pingdom.com/Tools to measure and benchmark my load time. Definitely helps a lot on cutting down large files and remedying bottlenecks. I'd encourage everyone to use Pingdom's greatly resourceful tool.
Having a dedicated IP is not going to affect your rankings per se. People say that because other users of the IP have potential to give it a bad name in Google's books.