MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is 10GB Enough ?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ideally so, but there's a fair amount of complexity in doing that and I can't see the ISP really benefiting from this, especially considering that ISP profit margins aren't that big.

For general web browsing a light downloading (ie smallish applications) I find 3GB/month difficult to exceed. I've done <1GB/month with heavy browsing, with images, flash, ads etc disabled.
An alternative to getting high quota plans is to look for ways to save bandwidth - most people don't seem to bother with the latter.
I personally couldn't do it for a home connection. I use spotify, hulu, and netflix all the time Toungue. It makes me glad to be in the US where the companies that do have limits it's usually at least 100 gb a month.

For something to use out of the house, yes. Since I don't see myself trying to watch to many movies or downloading games in the park.
(2013-01-08, 01:40 PM)Spudster Wrote: [ -> ]When the ISP Creates an usuage account We should be able to check the usuage and trial it. By the trial on the the 3G modem it used 7GB in two days. That would 7 times about 30.

Here, lemme refer you to the "Aussie oracle"

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au

Ask them. They'll tell you. ISP reps will, at least.
And to think I used to pay $2000 a month for a 1.5mb T-1 line in the 90's. Smile
As an aside to this BT in the UK used to advertise "unlimited" broadband, however in the small print was a clause "Subject to fair usage policy" the fair usage policy stated that if you used over 80gb a month they would choke your speed.

A lot of us BT vision customer got together and argued the case, that restriction on speed hampered our ability to view "on demand" TV, some thing we paid a premium for.

We took BT to court for unfair practice and won, so now in the UK "Unlimited" has to be without restrictions.

We had to say "thanks" to the OED for that one.

The lesson is, check carefully what your contract is, if it includes other services like "on demand" then your Broadband usage by PC shouldn't impact on that.
(2013-01-09, 05:59 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Ideally so, but there's a fair amount of complexity in doing that and I can't see the ISP really benefiting from this, especially considering that ISP profit margins aren't that big.

For general web browsing a light downloading (ie smallish applications) I find 3GB/month difficult to exceed. I've done <1GB/month with heavy browsing, with images, flash, ads etc disabled.
An alternative to getting high quota plans is to look for ways to save bandwidth - most people don't seem to bother with the latter.

Can't expect people with good PCs to not game. Not our fault modern games are usually well over 10GB.
If you have 200GB month now (per your update yesterday) you should be fine.

I work from home so I am online all day with the office. I VPN to the office and transfer a lot of data though now it is limited to KVM over RDP most of the time, but Outlook email is local and VOIP calls 3-5 hours a day. Plus I am managing multiple websites and one big board during that time.

plus my wife stays at home and is online a lot, we stream Netflix, i play PS3 online, my two kids are online a couple hours a day. My phone is checking email over wifi every 15 minutes (or push from work 24/7), my wife and daughter's phones are on wifi all the time.

All that is about 50-75GB a month in+out according to my dd-wrt based router.
(2013-01-09, 12:41 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Can't expect people with good PCs to not game. Not our fault modern games are usually well over 10GB.
Plenty of modern games under 1GB in size. Of course, I don't restrict myself to AAA titles.
(2013-01-11, 07:06 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-09, 12:41 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Can't expect people with good PCs to not game. Not our fault modern games are usually well over 10GB.
Plenty of modern games under 1GB in size. Of course, I don't restrict myself to AAA titles.

Nor do I, but it's silly to expect the average Steam user to not buy lots of them. "Under 1GB" is still rather iffy on 10GB because something like 900MB still eats up a lot of data.
(2013-01-08, 01:40 PM)Spudster Wrote: [ -> ]When the ISP Creates an usuage account We should be able to check the usuage and trial it. By the trial on the the 3G modem it used 7GB in two days. That would 7 times about 30.

Guess you can't have those regular luxuries as an average Comcast/XFINITY customer. Maybe you can switch to MyBB's archive version to limit MB usage down plain-text?

[Image: gilyp.png]
Pages: 1 2 3 4