MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using plugins to emulate MyBB functionality outside of the specified template
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay right, so I'm trying to create a Godawful website for a client, where he basically seems to be trying to use MyBB as a social networking platform...

Because of this, I need to use lots of the standard MyBB functionality in different places. I've been told this'll be easiest to achieve with plugins. The main thing that is needed is for a persons 5 most recent threads and posts to be shown on the user profile, how would I go about doing this?

Pretty damn new to the whole plugin thing, I've just been playing about with other peoples in an attempt to do some learning.
To get things done as you said you're hired by a client, I assume you would at least have knowledge or coding things with PHP and just new to MyBB and it's structure.

You need to use plugin hooks (docs.mybb.com/MyBB_Plugin_Hooks.html) to run your function at suitable places and query data just like normally.
You could look into installing XTHreads - there are also some nice plugins that are dependent ON XThreads by RateU - the most popular of which is the custom profile fields plugin.

Same site you got the Php in Templates mod - MyBB Hacks.
the MyNetwork plugin with the Profile Activity add-on does this already. Check out any profile at my site (link in sig) to see it working. It is not my plugin, I just use it
(2012-11-15, 04:54 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]To get things done as you said you're hired by a client, I assume you would at least have knowledge or coding things with PHP and just new to MyBB and it's structure.

You need to use plugin hooks (docs.mybb.com/MyBB_Plugin_Hooks.html) to run your function at suitable places and query data just like normally.

Actually, I'm just a front end developer. We just do wordpress sites, but I'm the only person in the office with any experience with forums (MyBB in particular) But I haven't used it since version 1.4 came out. And our PHP developer is tied up at the minute with the launch of an app or something, don't really like to disturb him. Haven't done any PHP for years, besides from Wordpress PHP which is child's play, so pretty damn rusty.

(2012-11-15, 04:56 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You could look into installing XTHreads - there are also some nice plugins that are dependent ON XThreads by RateU - the most popular of which is the custom profile fields plugin.

Same site you got the Php in Templates mod - MyBB Hacks.

Okay cool will have look.

(2012-11-15, 05:14 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]the MyNetwork plugin with the Profile Activity add-on does this already. Check out any profile at my site (link in sig) to see it working. It is not my plugin, I just use it

And I'll have a look at that too!

Thanks guys.