MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Markdown instead of WYSYWG editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard that MyBB will be installing a WYSWYG editor by default.

I think this is a very bad idea. Not for just the performance of a website, for for the web.

I think we should follow the same path as other websites, such as Reddit and Install Markdown instead. With Markdown, the options are limitless and it's as easy to use as BBCode.

Example:

> This is a quote

* This is Bold *

This is ^subtext

I just think that WYSIWYG will lead to many bugs to fix, more forum performance heavy, etc. if you do install another editor by default please go with markdown.
MyBB 1.8 will introduce a new editor, but it won't be Markdown. Introducing Markdown will break all current MyCodes which will be very messy.
Temporarily you can try this plugin!
http://mods.mybb.com/view/sceditor-wysiwyg-editor
(2012-11-16, 12:48 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 will introduce a new editor, but it won't be Markdown. Introducing Markdown will break all current MyCodes which will be very messy.
I hope that when you guys integrate the editor, yo keep the current plaintext editor as a fallback for people stuck in 2002 who don't like WYSIWYG editors. Toungue
Markdown is only good for a very tech affluent audience. Most people are used to using things like Gmail, which use wysiwig.

Also, I think worrying about performance issues of a text editor in 2012-2013 is pretty baffling.
(2012-11-16, 03:20 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]I hope that when you guys integrate the editor, yo keep the current plaintext editor as a fallback for people stuck in 2002 who don't like WYSIWYG editors. Toungue

How will a WYSIWYG editor handle custom MyCodes? Many forum admins already complain about the changes required to add buttons to the existing editor. A WYSIWYG editor would be harder to customize, no?
Well, 1.8 is a bit of a major update -- I'd assume they'd find some way to work around that. Maybe modify SCEditor to use config files of sorts -- plain text files that list code icons and associated codes, as well as a sort of Patches thing that automatically updates the editor's parser/renderer?
(2012-11-16, 12:44 PM)kawohi Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that MyBB will be installing a WYSWYG editor by default.

I think this is a very bad idea. Not for just the performance of a website, for for the web.

I think we should follow the same path as other websites, such as Reddit and Install Markdown instead. With Markdown, the options are limitless and it's as easy to use as BBCode.

Example:

> This is a quote

* This is Bold *

This is ^subtext

I just think that WYSIWYG will lead to many bugs to fix, more forum performance heavy, etc. if you do install another editor by default please go with markdown.

Sorry, were you looking for an UPGRADE to MyBB or a DOWNGRADE?

Although a markdown system is lightweight, you have to think about the general public of the internet. Forums are rapidly dying out on the internet with the arrival of a multitude of social networking websites. In order to prevent this decline, forums need to become much more user friendly, otherwise they will end up nothing more than a habitat for old, die-hard web geeks who don't like change.
(2012-11-23, 02:27 PM)Sudo Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, were you looking for an UPGRADE to MyBB or a DOWNGRADE?

Although a markdown system is lightweight, you have to think about the general public of the internet. Forums are rapidly dying out on the internet with the arrival of a multitude of social networking websites. In order to prevent this decline, forums need to become much more user friendly, otherwise they will end up nothing more than a habitat for old, die-hard web geeks who don't like change.

Agreed.
(2012-11-18, 08:50 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-16, 03:20 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]I hope that when you guys integrate the editor, yo keep the current plaintext editor as a fallback for people stuck in 2002 who don't like WYSIWYG editors. Toungue

How will a WYSIWYG editor handle custom MyCodes? Many forum admins already complain about the changes required to add buttons to the existing editor. A WYSIWYG editor would be harder to customize, no?

If you take a good WYSIWYG editor they are incredibly easy to customize. Much easier then the current editor.. i managed to add a smiley inserter.. but that was far more effort then it was worth.

So nothing really changes be it with the current editor or with the WYSIWYG editor. Both dont support much customization without edits so.

I did suggest it for 1.8 to have a way to add MyCodes from the ACP directly to the editor toolbar but i am not sure if it would be added.

Positive thing though is that smileys are already integrated into the editor itself.