MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Developing my own Registration and Signup forms for Mybb. pls advise.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi at MyBB admins/devs/support

Long story short, i got tired of battling these darn spam bots w/ different plugins and stuff .. and even if the plugins work, just the sheer amount of bots hammering my forums are costing me insane amounts of bandwidths (15GB just on the freaking bots!)

one way to resolve these hammering is to change name/folder of the reg and signup forms, every now and then.. but that usually means relocating the forums .. breaking thousands of bookmarks associated w/ it..

so what i started to do was code my own SIGNUP and LOGIN interfaces for my forums... using FLASH (another great use for flash).. a short share on the method is, it requires human interaction (captcha alternative) to submit properly, and at certain time of the day the register.php and login.php scripts changes location, in connection w/ the "secret settings" in the SWF..

i've done so in a few forums already and it has worked beautifully.. PhpBB and etc..

now i intend to do it w/ MyBB..

Please spare me the time on tryin to figure out how your login and reg routines work..

i just need to know
WHAT VARIABLES are REQUIRED and tables rows AFFECTED , updated, changed in mybb DURING SIGNUPS and LOGINS..

Hope to receive your kind support..

Thanks

Tj
wow, no one? Sad
Flash registration? Worst idea I have ever heard.

Spamalyser and registration question will stop all spam bots.
dude, flash for a registration? really? no one even uses flash anymore...
I think most of the info you need will be in global.php and member.php, though I must admit a flash interface is going out of style. As far as I know, Mac users cannot use Flash?
Haha, we can use flash Leefish. However no mobile platforms support flash anymore. And a lot of mac users are choosing to not use flash.
(2012-11-18, 06:39 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Haha, we can use flash Leefish. However no mobile platforms support flash anymore. And a lot of mac users are choosing to not use flash.

We can...but not java (after 10.8 update // there is workarounds) Toungue
Oh right - maybe I was thinking of the iPhone? I know one of my users had a problem using a graphs interface I have on leefish (that was built in flash). She might have been using an iPhone.
Web, we can still use java, it's just not included in the os anymore
Lolz you guys are funny..

i knew you guys were gona jump on the flash idea... Toungue

to defend myself a bit.. i do know of its limitations.. while it is not the worst idea, it's actually pretty sound.. i've been developing flashed gui based applications for years.. powered by php apache mysql backend.. from simple membership software to a full blown hospital system here locally. i've to say my software is in the league of its own compared to other local offerings at the same price ranges.. so dont look down too much on flash..

and yes, i do agree flash will be out the window for mobiles as soon as NOW, but it remains steady on desktops (exe form) and browser plugins and will stay for atleast 5 years, maybe even more.. (there's really no pressure on removing flash player off desktop browsers, unlike mobile devices where plugin development for every device configuration would cost adobe TRUCKLOADS of gold lolz .. for that HTML5 is my tool.

Now why am i using flash? it's not as easily crawl-able by bots, specially w/ some level of simple obfuscation.. it's very dynamic.. it's SOOO EASY and FAST to program on it (vs AJAX or other methods w/c would rely more code and time... it can host a nice WELCOME interface w/ rotating banners etc for my communities.. it's easy to reuse it (just an SWF and the php script that goes w/ it vs having to deal w/ plugins, embed java , and etc) .. it's lightweight (most flashers are stupid and dont know how to optimize.. flash was the best optimization for all media types, it was design for this, but stupid flashers made flash look bad.. ) .. it also adds that UNIQUE FACTOR w/c is cool vs standard login/reg screens.. and it can display latest posts etc or do tons w/ Flash.sharedObject feature.. i mean if you're a Flash guy you'll probably know what i mean.

and lastly and more importantly, purpose driven ...

On some communities, like ,this windows based gaming community we have, we all have desktops.. and we all prefer to use desktops over mobile devices when foruming.. it's soo much more convinient.. so it's ok to require flash plugin on their browsers .. infact most of them automatically do already....

and infact on this particular one , i developed a Flash based win32 software Authenticator for our forums.. one needs to use our Desktop app to sign in.. and this serves FAR more than just secure reg/login purpose, quick announcements, notes and etc so that every user can't miss..

And besides, should i need this for a larger audience, there is always AIR 3 w/c is available on iOS, droid, etc..

Anyway this can go on to a fiery debate but, let's get back to the topic and WHAT I NEED please.. haha. i really just need the variables and tables i need to play w/ for my interfaces to work.. and ill get on w/ my life here lolz

1) What variables to store in the database (and w/c tables?)
2) What is the encryption used? $password = md5($username . $password); ?
3) What Session variables to create during login?

Please help.. if anyone knows.. it would make my life easier so i need not dig and test.. Sad

regards

Tj
Pages: 1 2