MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking for investor ($15)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2012-11-22, 03:47 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I'm personally against donations, and would not donate to a forum.

Admins should be responsible for paying for their own board, not the users.

I don't think there's anything wrong with accepting donations, but there's a big difference between accepting them and pressuring, especially when your board is young already. It's also worth it if you can provide services that are worth paying for ...

That said, calling this a donation when the title clearly says looking for an investor is strange, though nobody would ever bother investing $15 in something, I think. Donations tend to come from fans of what you're offering, not randoms on an unrelated site. Not only that, you're literally selling your user's information for $15.

Selling user databases has always struck me as really scummy. Do people really agree to let you sell their data when they sign up? I sincerely doubt most sites have ToS that covers this.
(2012-11-22, 04:09 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-22, 03:47 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I'm personally against donations, and would not donate to a forum.

Admins should be responsible for paying for their own board, not the users.

I don't think there's anything wrong with accepting donations, but there's a big difference between accepting them and pressuring, especially when your board is young already. It's also worth it if you can provide services that are worth paying for ...

That said, calling this a donation when the title clearly says looking for an investor is strange, though nobody would ever bother investing $15 in something, I think. Donations tend to come from fans of what you're offering, not randoms on an unrelated site. Not only that, you're literally selling your user's information for $15.

Selling user databases has always struck me as really scummy. Do people really agree to let you sell their data when they sign up? I sincerely doubt most sites have ToS that covers this.

And the fact it is illegal, especially in the uk. So if you have any uk users you'll be breaking the Data Protection Act (1998)
(2012-11-22, 04:09 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Selling user databases has always struck me as really scummy. Do people really agree to let you sell their data when they sign up? I sincerely doubt most sites have ToS that covers this.

That's what got me as well. I don't like the fact that OP is basically selling $15 his DB. Someone pays to run his show. Anyways completely misleading and unethical.
PM ME. Im interested of this.
(2012-11-22, 10:56 AM)Californian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-22, 04:09 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Selling user databases has always struck me as really scummy. Do people really agree to let you sell their data when they sign up? I sincerely doubt most sites have ToS that covers this.

That's what got me as well. I don't like the fact that OP is basically selling $15 his DB. Someone pays to run his show. Anyways completely misleading and unethical.

Not to mention it's against the rules here.

Quote: Advertising the following is explicitly prohibited:
We believe the following products are better advertised through other services such as eBay, Flippa or Digital Point forums.

Complete websites that are not directly related to or powered by MyBB
Domain names that do not meet the conditions of point (1)
Web hosting which does not meet the conditions of point (2)
Competitions or raffles, though you may advertise these through your showcase thread
Physical goods
Forum databases that are not sold as part of a complete website
(2012-11-27, 12:36 AM)InfernoSoft Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-22, 10:56 AM)Californian Wrote: [ -> ]

Not to mention it's against the rules here.

Quote: Advertising the following is explicitly prohibited:
We believe the following products are better advertised through other services such as eBay, Flippa or Digital Point forums.

Complete websites that are not directly related to or powered by MyBB
Domain names that do not meet the conditions of point (1)
Web hosting which does not meet the conditions of point (2)
Competitions or raffles, though you may advertise these through your showcase thread
Physical goods
Forum databases that are not sold as part of a complete website

Shocking staff aren't aware of this - this thread should of been closed along time ago.
Pages: 1 2