MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing menu inline in CSS...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After creating numerous custom themes I have yet to understand WHY I can't change the CSS for EVERYTHING. The problem I normally have is .menu! This control that top area in header template. I have changed the css in default as well as DELETED the default template..no go. It seems impossible without simply renaming menu class in header template then assigning a new style in the css theme editor. Seems a complete waste of my time. HOW is this controlled and why can't I edit this in admincp?
Well I still would like an answer to this. Maybe in my rant you can't figure out the question.

1. How can I edit the css for .menu?
2. Is it a bug that's I can't edit this in the admincp?
Sure you can edit it in the adminCP.
It's in MyBB Master style.

You can add this code to your own theme though.
.menu ul {
	list-style: none;
	margin: 0;
}

.menu li {
	display: inline;
	padding-left: 5px;
}

.menu img {
	padding-right: 5px;
	vertical-align: top;
}

First of all, if you are going to make an theme you should have css knowledge and HTML knowledge. This is pretty standard, if it's not in the help boxes above you should add it to additional CSS at the bottom.
I don't know about your installs crakter but I don't get an option to change the "master style". I know I can add my own css to any style but the problem is that it's already defined..and uneditable. You can edit "default" but guess what..it doesn't work. At the bottom of default is "additional css" and in there is the menu css. Altering it doesn't change the "master style css". I have gone so far as to DELETE the default template and that still didn't work.

I have vast html and css knowledge. What I don't know is how to alter the css for menu in mybb.

There is a problem here. You should try your own suggestions before telling others it's the fix.
I should try my suggestions? It works PERFECT for me so I'm unsure to what you are doing. There is no problem for me at all here.
You shouldn't mediately sound like it's my fault. That's just wrong. I'm just trying to help.

As I said it works perfect adding that and altering it in your own theme additional CSS area.
CSS WILL overwrite already defined items.....
Are you sure about this? Have you gone and actually checked the css it creates on the site itself?

I have had this issue repeatedly on different installs at different sites. It may APPEAR the css is changed...however if you look at the site itself and the css ...it doesn't remove the inline. Attempt to remove the "display:inline" in your admincp.

Hey if I am wrong..I am wrong. I can admit if I make an error.

To be clear..I am trying to REMOVE the inline display for menu css.
Ok..to make sure I ain't nuts..I went to one of my sites to try again.

The site is http://www.pokemonboard.com  and this is for test only that I want to do this.

http://www.pokemonboard.com/css.php?theme=4

Now you can see a .menu css with display:inline HOWEVER....you should see also an additional css with my .menu and without display:inline.  

I have edited the "Default" theme as well to remove that line but guess what...it's still there in the actual css.

Explain this.

OK...after looking at how this should be fixed. I believe that the .menu css isn't editable in the admincp.  These are fixed css which are NOT editable in the admincp and should be.  "Top Links Menu (Customized in this style)" should be pulling this information and allow it to be editable.  I have never gone after the code on how the css is editable but I may have to if MYBB staff doesn't address this issue.  EVERY CSS SHOULD BE EDITABLE IN THE ADMINCP and it's not.

EDIT: Now I looking deeper into this since the support is non-existent. I see in the mysql that "MyBB Master Style" is listed the same as the other themes. However in admincp you can't edit this style. Why not? And guess what ...in my 1.1.8...I can edit the master theme! What gives? So this must be a 1.2.1 bug.
You posted that 5 minutes right after you posted your last post and you expect support within that period of time? I believe all CSS is editable. Now sure whats up with yours. Also the master theme (I think) is disabled because of upgrading issues when reverting the themes to work with 1.2. Some users would change the master theme to make a custom one instead of clicking 'new theme' if they wanted to create a new theme, and it would be lost.
First post was over a day ago. The only response so far was Crakter with his "help".

Thanks Tikitiki if you are looking into it. I am looking at the admin/theme.php and I think it has to do with the pid and tid. So far I can't see how to fix this myself. Any help is APPRECIATED.

Btw..I opened a bug report.