MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why my forum is slow?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,

i have four forums. two on phpbb2, one on phpbb3 and one of my new forum on mybb Smile

i heard about mybb and get to know its feature all are great

as now i have installed mybb and its about 10 days now

i found something, i just want to know what should i do to rectify it.

my phpbb3 forum is the fastest one, the page response is within 1-2 second

i got the any page after clicking a link in just 1 or maximum 2 and half second

but on mybb my forum takes about 10-12 seconds to open a page sometimes 15-20 seconds

if i search something it open a page in 10 second showing ur search has been processed we will move u to the required page and then again i have to wait 10 seconds
in total it almost takes 15 seconds on an average to open a page

why is so? am i having any wrong settings? what should i do to make it faster like my other phpbb3 forum

please help

secondly, when i login to mybboard community page on firefox, after clicking log in it asks username and password, i fill it and click login then it shows a page u have successfully logged in but again it moves me to the index page without login saying welcome guest. why so? Sad

i am logged in on IE, is there any problem with firefox?

please help in above queries
(noted: this community.mybboard.com opens the same way like my phpbb3 forum, i don't know what's wrong with mine)
Thanks in advance, god bless all Smile
Ok I will try to solve your problems one at a time. I will start with the easiest one.

The one about logging in. Being that you have 4 boards running on the same domain it sounds like you have a definite cookie problem. You need to make sure that all of your forums have the directory for the cookie filled out to the directory of the forum. You don't want sitewide cookies here because they will overlap and cause problems. Also make sure each board has a unique cookie prefix (ie: phpbb21, phpbb22, phpbb3, mybb). Otherwise, your boards will try to use the cookies of the other board causing even more problems. Once you define the cookie and make sure all cookies are unique and properly linked to the board you should have no problems there.

As far as page loading I must ask the obvious questions:

-What are your server specs? (Please include system info, as well as php/mysql versions)
-Are you running more than one board simultaneously in a live environment (are all the forums being used at the same time)?
-If you answered yes to the above question, have you tried shutting down the other board and do you still get the same result?
-If this is a live server, are you on a shared hosting account or a dedicated hosting account?
-If you are on a shared hosting account, have you asked your provider to be moved to a different server?
-If this is a live server, did you test both products during off-hours? Be aware that during peak hours speeds may be slower than during off hours, it goes to how many users are online at once.

-If this is NOT a live server and is a local testing server, again, are you the only one with access?
-If no, have you tried denying access to the other boards to test myBB on its own?

-And finally, before we go any further, how are you testing the speeds, are you counting on your watch or are you using the myBB built-in feature, located on the bottom right of the index by default, to test the speeds?

Once you answer those questions we can go into detail about your problem a little more. Also it is never a good idea to test against a beta product because there is a good chance the beta is not running everything that it will need to in the final release. This is why it is a beta testing release with only a limited number of features.