MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merging posts is troublesome.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://community.mybb.com/thread-119331-...#pid943171

I made a post thanking euantor for his help. Then a few hours later I needed assistance with something else, so I made a new post. However, since it's been 24 hours and nobody else has replied, my post was merged, and euantor will have no way of knowing that I asked a new question unless I tell him so.

So my options are:

a) Somehow hope euantor notices it
b) PM euantor just to ask him to read my post in his thread
c) Wait for someone else to post in a topic before asking a new question

I feel like the benefit of merging posts together is far outweighed by the trouble it causes.
(2012-11-29, 04:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]http://community.mybb.com/thread-119331-...#pid943171

I made a post thanking euantor for his help. Then a few hours later I needed assistance with something else, so I made a new post. However, since it's been 24 hours and nobody else has replied, my post was merged, and euantor will have no way of knowing that I asked a new question unless I tell him so.

So my options are:

a) Somehow hope euantor notices it
b) PM euantor just to ask him to read my post in his thread
c) Wait for someone else to post in a topic before asking a new question

I feel like the benefit of merging posts together is far outweighed by the trouble it causes.

I agree (and always have agreed) on this.

The post merge time should be like five minutes.

After that, an individual is CLEARLY posting a different thought. (or they would be using the EDIT feature instead).
Post merging really is annoying at times. Especially in support threads where somebody may reply that they are going to test a fix (and which I might read but not respond to) then 5 minutes post back results. Both posts would be merged and I would have to expressly go out of my way to re-read the topic.
agreed, 5-10 minutes max merge time.
(2012-11-29, 04:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like the benefit of merging posts together is far outweighed by the trouble it causes.

Can you imagine the support sections if it was reduced? People would be bumping their threads every 10 minutes, we'd have to clean it up, and we'd end up going back to the system that's currently in place.
I'd like to see some evidence that it would really become that big of an issue. I think you're overstating it. And in a situation like that, you could suspend/ban a user.
(2012-11-29, 09:02 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-29, 04:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like the benefit of merging posts together is far outweighed by the trouble it causes.

Can you imagine the support sections if it was reduced? People would be bumping their threads every 10 minutes, we'd have to clean it up, and we'd end up going back to the system that's currently in place.

You can always come up with another way to prevent bumping.
Maybe use it for certain forums?

Merge Forums to Ignore
Forums, separated by a comma, to exclude from the auto merge feature. Leave blank to disable.

It also is possible that if a user bumps like a silly person then they just get their post closed and not allowed in the section.
I understand the staff's opinion on this as well. Especially on a forum such as this. They already have a lot of work to do. Cleaning up "bumps" would be a huge pain in the lime!

I think this opens a good discussion for a "Bump" plugin. Something that merges the post, but maybe changes the thread icon (adds a shadow or something).

idk
I agree, can you not already set a different time for certain forums (Don't ever change post merging myself)?

But yeah, it's definitely annoying. x.x
Pages: 1 2 3