MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving from phpBB to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hope this is the right section... If not, please move it as appropriate.

My wife has a forum and she is on phpBB. Needless to say she is very dissatisfied with it, so she wants to move to MyBB. Can someone help me out with this? I have had a look at their admin panel, but it is not clear at all how I am supposed to copy the old forum (and they don't answer to emails...) and once I have done that how to copy it into MyBB.

The idea is to have a section on my existing MyBB forum or perhaps to create a new one from scratch... not sure which one is easiest.

Any help/suggestions will be most appreciated.
Hi,

You can convert to Myb with the Merger System.

http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system
thanks borbole,

this looks exactly like what I need.
The question is now... does anybody know how to get all the info one needs out of phpBB3? I cannot find any option to do it.

The problem is taht the forum is hosted on armbell, a free platform Sad
(2012-11-30, 12:25 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]thanks borbole,

this looks exactly like what I need.
The question is now... does anybody know how to get all the info one needs out of phpBB3? I cannot find any option to do it.

The problem is taht the forum is hosted on armbell, a free platform Sad

You are welcome.

I don''t know how things are with that host. Do you have access to the database and ftp there?
Most "free" hosts hold you hostage (you have to pay to get the database and attachment files).

Armbell doesn't even seem to offer that (in their terms of service, "Unfortunately, we do not provide sqldump for individual forum. This may be offered in the future for paid members only.")

Still, contact them and ask about it. It may be outdated information in their ToS.

Without sqldump, you'd have to use web scraping to get at the data i.e. a software that crawls your forum as Google does, and understands the HTML structure well enough to recreate users and posts in a MyBB forum. The results for that are never perfect, though.
Hi FS, thanks for that,

I did fear that was the case as there is absolutely nothing saying that you could export a forum (not even paying).
I think I read in another thread about such a crawler, but now I cannot remember its name. I think I will have to look into it

HHmmm... cannot find the thread. Any suggestions on where to find a crawler that does a half decent job?