MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forgotten areas? RSS, "show new posts", email notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have posted more than once questions about the RSS feed and how to modify it, but they always remain answered. For example, I am trying to find a way to get only a summary of the posts in the feed, but nobody seems to know how to do it.

Another question is how the "show new posts" button works... again, another unanswered question... I feel the way it (doesn't) work right now should be improved upon. For a start of late it is not showing the latest posts at all... it seems to forget even before I click on it. Secondly if you click and don't look at all the threads quickly you don't get a second chance as they will disappear soon enough. This is a function that I use often, especially from a mobile, and a lot of people on my board do the same, but I regularly receive questions/complaints about it.

Do we want to talk about e-mail notifications? Again, they seem to be sent only some of the time and at times hours after the actual event (i.e. the new message being sent). At first I thought it was my email client the problem, but the issue seems to be widespread, so it can't be just me...

Sorry for the rant, but they seem to be very basic functionality and it is frustrating no being able to find any info anywhere. I can't believe the technical knowledge has been lost because, perhaps, someone moved.
View new posts works exactly how its supposed to work, by showing you "new" posts that you haven't seen yet. If you want a static summary of recent posts, then use 'view todays posts' instead.

I'm currently on a mobile at the moment so I'd rather not go into detail about the others because I cant read the code to back up my claims.

Also, if you're that interested in the mechanics, try reading the code yourself instead of complaining that nobody will do it for you. You can't blame anyone but yourself for ignorance.
Beardy,
I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the reason for a support forum to exist was to... hem...provide support, not to dish out lectures.

The issues I mention in this post have been addressed in a few posts in the past (by me and others), but no feedback was ever given.

Re: "View new posts, at the moment it is not showing at all the new posts since I last looked at them, but only one or two, and has been doing it for some time.
Also, IMHO the way it works is not ideal as it forgets too quickly, so if I have 20 posts to read, but I haven't time to read them all, after a while he doesn't show them at all. So I have a very narrow temporal window when to read all the posts.
(2012-12-02, 11:09 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Beardy,
I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the reason for a support forum to exist was to... hem...provide support, not to dish out lectures.

That would be the case, had you actually posted in the support and not the suggestions and feedback section, but as you didn't this is open grounds for me giving you feedback on your feedback. I should also point out that I'm in no way associated with MyBB and I'm hardly bound by any expectations to serve every request with glee; you're not forced to agree with my opinion but don't be upset by my voicing of it.
That's why I am posting here, to give feedback as I feel that for some reason support is neglecting some aspects of the myBB forums.
Arka, I understand that you are just looking for information but your original post comes off as unnecessarily hostile. You have to understand that everyone here is volunteering, and sometimes stuff falls through the cracks. That being said ...

Quote:Also, if you're that interested in the mechanics, try reading the code yourself instead of complaining that nobody will do it for you. You can't blame anyone but yourself for ignorance.

This is absurd. So we can't be interested or curious about the functionality of MyBB if we don't have the technical capacity to understand it? I think that despite not knowing PHP, I've made meaningful contributions to the MyBB community. I think everyone can have something to offer with their own skillsets.

---

With regards to View New Posts, there's a lot of controversy about how this function works. Essentially it's based on the user's session, so if they log out or leave for an extended period of time, it will get reset. You can install the Unread Posts plugin, or you can add a link to the header to show all posts from [x] amount of days (thanks to leefish for mentioning this to me):

frostschutz Wrote:The "View New Posts" / "View Today's Posts" links in the header are another example for things that work only for huge forums; small forums will give you a very short list of threads only, which is why I replace it with "View Recent Posts" in every forum, using search.php?action=getdaily&days={$mybb->settings['threadreadcut']} and a larger value than default for threadreadcut. It's the only way to get a decent list/overview of possibly unread threads in a normal forum.

I don't have the answers to your other questions, unfortunately, but I hope this helps a bit.
(2012-12-02, 08:00 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Also, if you're that interested in the mechanics, try reading the code yourself instead of complaining that nobody will do it for you. You can't blame anyone but yourself for ignorance.

This is absurd. So we can't be interested or curious about the functionality of MyBB if we don't have the technical capacity to understand it? I think that despite not knowing PHP, I've made meaningful contributions to the MyBB community. I think everyone can have something to offer with their own skillsets.

There's a difference between curiously asking how something works and complaining that it's broken and that nobody is willing to volunteer their time to offer an explanation. Sure, my post could be seen as volatile, but I stand by my statement. With the plethora of resources on the internet about PHP, it's hardly impossible to at least try to understand how it works. Even if you find that you're only able to understand very little about it, you'll still be better off when it comes time to actually understanding any fuller explanations someone may give you and it would take a lot less effort for them to "dumb it down", so to speak.

Perhaps I'm simply being far too hopeful in expecting everyone to have an interest in the code behind the functionality they wish to understand, rather than simply being content with understanding the functionality itself. Different minds go to different lengths to defeat curiosity, I suppose.
He's not a developer, he's a user of the software. A feature is broken and no developers have been willing to assist him. If everyone was able to fix this stuff themselves, there'd be no need for a support forum. Everyone has their strengths.
Hi all,

let me clarify briefly that my frustration was caused not so much by the fact that I was not getting support (I do understand that here people are doing it out of their good heart, and I for one would go demented at answering always the same questions, and I do know from experience...), but there are topics that simply don't get answers... Take the RSS question, there are several threads (not posted by meSmile ) on various aspects of RSS feeds, but there is very little info there... only questions, and no answers. The conclusion I can draw is that perhaps the person/s who dealt with it at the time have now moved on and that particular functionality is being rolled over from one release to the next. Or perhaps they simply don't monitor the forums (and who could blame them?). Either way there is very little info on the official documentation or the forums. for example on my WP blog I can set the length of the snippet I see in the feed in one second, so I was expecting to be able to find something similar here, but obviously this is not the case.

(2012-12-02, 08:00 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
frostschutz Wrote:The "View New Posts" / "View Today's Posts" links in the header are another example for things that work only for huge forums; small forums will give you a very short list of threads only, which is why I replace it with "View Recent Posts" in every forum, using search.php?action=getdaily&days={$mybb->settings['threadreadcut']} and a larger value than default for threadreadcut. It's the only way to get a decent list/overview of possibly unread threads in a normal forum.

That's great info. Thanks very muchSmile
(besides, I have no idea how all that blurb actually works, but I can do copy and paste and some vary basic modifications to suit my needsSmile )
example:

http://harajuju.net/search.php?action=getdaily&days=7

It's true that there is very little documentation for MyBB development. I would assume that they generally don't expect people to change anything outside of basic theming.
Pages: 1 2