MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] How to Help Secure your Forums from being Hacked/DDOSED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2013-03-12, 12:16 AM)Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:BTW there is at least one other method to grab server IP outside of mail using MyBB.

Did you intentionally not tell him the method? I know what it is (or at least one way, which I think you are also referring to - "clever scripting" to patch it, right?), but I didn't realise it was hush hush.

It's widely known by knowledgeable people but the children intending to DDoS (mainly) your website wont even think about that.
Are you guys referring to reading mail headers for people who don't use an external SMTP Server? Most people don't know about it.

That's why I personally just use the Free NameCheap SMTP Servers. You get 1 year free.

I have also updated the Tutorial.
(2013-03-12, 06:38 PM)imtiax Wrote: [ -> ]Are you guys referring to reading mail headers for people who don't use an external SMTP Server? Most people don't know about it.

That's why I personally just use the Free NameCheap SMTP Servers. You get 1 year free.

Using an SMTP server doesn't hide your server IP. You can still see where it comes from. Just tested it myself to confirm even.

There's another way I know of as well besides using email headers.
(2013-03-12, 11:00 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-12, 06:38 PM)imtiax Wrote: [ -> ]Are you guys referring to reading mail headers for people who don't use an external SMTP Server? Most people don't know about it.

Using an SMTP server doesn't hide your server IP. You can still see where it comes from. Just tested it myself to confirm even.

Avatar exploit? And you can hide the mail IP with most paid SMTP services.
(2013-03-13, 01:38 AM)SportForums3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-12, 11:00 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Avatar exploit? And you can hide the mail IP with most paid SMTP services.

Yeah like Name Cheaps one hides mine completely.
Or if you really wanna try something, you could probably hide the IP even on SMTP ones that don't by editing some settings in exim.
Problem with this is, you can't do this if you want to email unless you use a external mail source.
(2013-03-17, 03:24 PM)stalls Wrote: [ -> ]Problem with this is, you can't do this if you want to email unless you use a external mail source.

Why would you use PHPmail anyways, it will go to junk. Get an SMTP server with SPF if you want your mail to go to peoples inboxes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4