MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: gzip is causing a funky output...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
all of a sudden having gzip enabled in the admin cp (it's been enabled for months now) started causing the page to output like this:

[attachment=27911]

forum url: http://shavenook.com

note, gzip has been disabled so it doesn't cause any forum problems at this time.
Maybe your webserver is gzipping too (best solution anyway) and you end up with gzip inside gzip. That's usually what it is when you get binary/random looking output like that.
(2012-12-02, 11:12 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your webserver is gzipping too (best solution anyway) and you end up with gzip inside gzip. That's usually what it is when you get binary/random looking output like that.

I think you sent me a test script before, but is there a way to see if the server is gzipping pages?
If you're using firefox, with the web developer toolbar plugin, Information->View Response Headers will say "Content-Encoding: gzip" for gzipped pages.
(2012-12-02, 11:54 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]If you're using firefox, with the web developer toolbar plugin, Information->View Response Headers will say "Content-Encoding: gzip" for gzipped pages.

I'll have to add that plugin later, but I did find the code you sent me before. he's the code:

<?php

ob_start("ob_gzhandler");
header('HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found'); // works fine for 200 OK

?>
<html>
<body>
<p>This should be a compressed page.</p>
</body>
</html> 

and here's a link to it on the server: http://shavenook.com/test.php

which displays "This should be a compressed page."
I had this problem this morning on my forum as well. Saw this thread and disabled gzip and everything was fine. I did the check also frostschutz explained and it showed the server is already gzipping the page.

But why the sudden mess up? Maybe the server just now began gzipping the pages? Or is there another explanation?
(2012-12-03, 12:19 AM)whiteskwirl Wrote: [ -> ]I had this problem this morning on my forum as well. Saw this thread and disabled gzip and everything was fine. I did the check also frostschutz explained and it showed the server is already gzipping the page.

But why the sudden mess up? Maybe the server just now began gzipping the pages? Or is there another explanation?

do you happen to host with hostmonster?