MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: External User Database Integration?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am developing a customized website that includes a job bank and industry directory using a MySQL database. I'm just beginning to look at possibly using MyBB to include an online forum feature. But I do not want to force our users to use one set of login credentials to login to our site database and separate login credentials to enter the forum.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to integrate our existing MySQL db to access MyBB? And if so, how easy is it to accomplish this?

Randy
Instead of pulling from your already created user db table, use the MyBB one instead.
Sounds like a great idea Jordan - how would you go about that? I am interested as I have a shop plugin that I would like to integrate to my forum.
You'd have to write code which somehow synchronizes those user accounts (and if you want to skip the additional login step, also synchronize cookies). Some PHP knowledge as well as an understanding of how cookies/authentication works in general is required.
Jordan,

Thanks for your response. I suppose that could be a solution. Is it possible to import my existing user db into MyBB? Really don't want them to have to re-register. And then I suppose that after the initial import I could then use the MyBB registration for all new users.

frostschutz,

Thanks for the reply.

My level of PHP skill is probably a 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10, so I don't think I could handle that right now. I use ColdFusion for all of my coding. Perhaps the same could be done using CF, but I'm not sure I would want to tackle that chore right now either. Just don't have the time.

I was hoping that someone had already written the code and had a plug-in for this type of situation. Surely it has come up before.

(2012-12-08, 06:23 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]You'd have to write code which somehow synchronizes those user accounts (and if you want to skip the additional login step, also synchronize cookies). Some PHP knowledge as well as an understanding of how cookies/authentication works in general is required.
frostschutz would be better to help you both with this as I have a small knowledge of cookies and as for importing to MyBB I have no idea.