MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much space does a forum the size of MyBB.com or Hackforums.net take up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering, how much space does a MyBB database take up (on average), for about 10,000 users, and 100 posts per user?
It's usually around 1 GB per million posts, depending on how much content there actually is.
(2012-12-09, 10:55 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's usually around 1 GB per million posts, depending on how much content there actually is.

That's the number I've always stated as being fairly accurate. Of course it may vary based on your pruning or site policies. But I'd say you're within 20% for that number.

The HF database is currently 22GB and that's with a lot of pruning. If I never pruned a PM, post, or user I'd say I'd be nearly double that. Currently HF has 22.7 million posts in the database. So the 1GB per 1 million posts is an accurate number.

MyBB.com is probably around 600-650mb imho.
(2012-12-09, 11:02 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]So the 1GB per 1 million posts is an accurate number.

I would say so, WF db size is 336mb with 336k posts. That is scarily accurate.
I'm at 128MB for close to 100k posts, and that's just the posts table, not counting private messages (+30MB), threads, users, sessions, templates, and the remaining small fry... total 164MB...

So I won't make the 1GB per 1 million posts mark, but it's no problem as there won't be 1 million posts in the near future. The forum is growing at a moderate 7-8k posts per year so let's talk about this again in 125 years... Wink
mine is running around 150-160mb (I forget the exact number right now) with almost 147K posts.
(2012-12-10, 12:44 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm at 128MB for close to 100k posts, and that's just the posts table, not counting private messages (+30MB), threads, users, sessions, templates, and the remaining small fry... total 164MB...

So I won't make the 1GB per 1 million posts mark, but it's no problem as there won't be 1 million posts in the near future. The forum is growing at a moderate 7-8k posts per year so let's talk about this again in 125 years... Wink

What's your board?
(2012-12-10, 12:00 AM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-09, 11:02 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]So the 1GB per 1 million posts is an accurate number.

I would say so, WF db size is 336mb with 336k posts. That is scarily accurate.

Not quite I'd say. Even though ZEJ is small in comparison, the 15,600 posts it does have all have relatively high levels of actual content, which makes my posts table about 25MB.

That's not the biggest table in my database, thank you very much Bad Behavior logs that I really need to prune.
When your database is big enough for storage space to matter, storage space will be the least of your concerns.
My Forum has 15.3MB Sized Database which has 20k posts. And my old Forum The Tech Players had 89K Posts and the database size was 52.8MB, un-compressed.
Pages: 1 2 3