MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Thunderbird?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-12-11, 11:06 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Opera for the win. Comes with email client built-in.

I would agree....

Opera's UI is one of my favorites and there's something I just like about the browser in general. It would be my dedicated browser if they made the move to webkit as I do not like their rendering engines at all and writing Opera specific CSS is quite the pain.
(2012-12-11, 07:48 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Sparrow army, assemble!

I LOVE SPARROW.

It's slightly unfortunate it's not really being updated anymore, but I have no real complaints... still using it on both my Mac and iPhone.
Thunderbird works well if you require email & calendar capabilities (via lightning) in one application, while supporting multiple accounts. The plugins are awesome to have access to as well.

Until you have to deal with Microsoft and their proprietary mail protocols (no IMAP in Thunderbird), of course (thankfully I only retain my hotmail account for general use, and the native apps on my iPhone and windows 8 support it and work well).
Quote:t would be my dedicated browser if they made the move to webkit as I do not like their rendering engines at all and writing Opera specific CSS is quite the pain.

In all my years as a webmaster I've never had to create custom css for Opera.

Quote:Who needs mail clients, web based mail FTW!

I think because I used a computer when you had to dial up that I enjoy having a local client. I do login to web based services but prefer to have at least one local mail client in case of emergency.

What I don't understand is using a separate mail client from your web browser. That to me seems ridiculous. It's one reason I would never use Firefox as a main browser. I'd go Chrome and use web based mail client if it came to it.

A note: If you're offline you can't compose or read your emails. Doesn't that bother anyone?
labrocca Wrote:A note: If you're offline you can't compose or read your emails. Doesn't that bother anyone?

I don't think I ever type up an email while offline and send it while online, I know my previous manager used to do it all the time, but I just wait until I'm in the office to send emails. If work supplied me with a smart phone, I'd be using it for emails, unfortunately stuck with an old Nokia.
(2012-12-12, 04:47 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]A note: If you're offline you can't compose or read your emails. Doesn't that bother anyone?

I'm generally online, I'm at a WiFi college campus and at home I have great Internet. I suppose reading email offline could be an issue but generally I can remember what I need to. I can always write an email in LibreOffice and send it when I'm online.
(2012-12-12, 04:42 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Until you have to deal with Microsoft and their proprietary mail protocols (no IMAP in Thunderbird), of course (thankfully I only retain my hotmail account for general use, and the native apps on my iPhone and windows 8 support it and work well).

I'm using IMAP with thunderbird right now and have in the past so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
He's talking about outlook not IMAP. I can't use Thunderbird with my university email because it uses some proprietary MS stuff.
(2012-12-12, 04:47 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]A note: If you're offline you can't compose or read your emails. Doesn't that bother anyone?

Nope. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...ldlkglhimk

I would imagine this sort of feature to be default in Chrome some time soon (at least I think it would make sense). Just like they already offer offline access to Google Drive by default. Smile
(2012-12-12, 10:17 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]He's talking about outlook not IMAP. I can't use Thunderbird with my university email because it uses some proprietary MS stuff.

Outlook is a relic from the Windows 2000 days.
Pages: 1 2 3