MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyAlerts Extension - a MyAlerts plugin with extra notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Since its early development, euantor's MyAlerts plugin really attracted me. In a rising social-dependent world, a notification system is practically a must. To whom is now asking himself what MyAlerts is, this plugin is actually the best - and I guess the only one - notification system for MyBB that works, and works quite well.

The only point I have to complain about it - there aren't too many notifications, at the moment only 5 actions are being notified to users. TO be honest, euan's work is awesome, he developed an high quality plugin which fortunately is extensible. And that's the reason why I said "why don't you help him adding other notifications, Shade?".

The fact is, I'm developing a personal board which will be my starting point for a big - hopefully huge - community I already maintain in an other community software. And I want to bring my users the best user experience, so a greater notification system would really be the best thing for me. And that's why, after too many questions I asked euantor, now I'm ready to develop a stand-alone plugin which I'll release for free as an extension for MyAlerts and aimed for everyone who wants more notifications in their dropdown lists Toungue

I planned the following notifications (thanks JordanMussi Toungue):
  • When someone edits your posts
  • When someone deletes your posts
  • When someone deletes your threads
  • When someone moves your threads
  • When someone warns you
  • When someone revokes an active warning
  • When you're being promoted to an usergroup within the core promotion system
  • When someone suspends your signature
  • When someone edits your signature
  • When someone removes your avatar
  • When someone changes your avatar
  • When someone updates your profile
  • When someone updates your account settings
  • When someone suspends/unsuspends you from posting
  • When someone sets/unsets your posts to be moderated

MyAlerts Moderation Alerts Pack - this will be the plugin name - will be available when it's ready, probably with not all of the notifications mentioned above and I will update it progressively. It will be completely integrated into MyAlerts (thanks again for its extensibility, euan), meaning that you'll be able to activate/deactivate settings and configure them to your needs.

I've finished its development and it should be available as soon as MyBB Staff approves my thread in the Release forum.

Also, plans have changed since Crayo did some suggestions I accepted to follow. Here you can see what I'm talking about.

Here are some screenshots from my test board:

[Image: Schermata%2012-2456274%20alle%2014.52.54.png]

[Image: Schermata%2012-2456274%20alle%2014.52.19.png]

Tips, suggestions and comments are always appreciated.
These should have really just been added to the actual MyAlerts plugin instead of you creating an entirely separate plugin as an extension. Creating a new plugin that pretty much only adds onto the same technology for an already existing plugin could really confuse people and needlessly clutters the plugin section in the ACP.

It would be better for everyone if you just get in contact with euantor and offer to add your code into MyAlerts as a collaborator; as it stands, you'll still need to keep up with the latest releases of MyAlerts anyway just to see if any of the core integration technology changes that could potentially break your plugin.

I suppose if euantor doesn't plan on adding any of those features directly into MyAlerts, then this plugin has its place.

Just my 2ยข. Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.
Sorry, I forgot to mention this: http://community.mybb.com/thread-127444-...#pid944235

As he said, his main target was to bring social notifications, not moderation or such actions. MyAlerts Extension is meant to be the "extra alerts" plugin.
I see. Well, if the initial plan was to have features segregated into separate plugins, then I suppose there won't be any conflict of interest between you and euantor when it comes time to upgrade MyAlerts.

Good luck with it.
@Beardy: I actually developed MyAlerts with this kind of idea in my mind. I don't have endless amounts of time to keep adding alert types but would still like to see other alert types added. This way is the easiest in my eyes.
So the MyAlerts plugin is set up similar to newpoints where other plugins can be added to it?
Sorry, been extremely busy and haven't yet had the chance to test drive it.
Yep, euantor put some hooks in MyAlerts you can use in your plugins to add alerts. Those are what MyAlerts Extension will be based off.
(2012-12-12, 02:57 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]@Beardy: I actually developed MyAlerts with this kind of idea in my mind. I don't have endless amounts of time to keep adding alert types but would still like to see other alert types added. This way is the easiest in my eyes.

Would have been cleaner to have support for extensions built-in early on, so third-party extensions could be directly implemented through MyAlerts instead of separated by plugins, but I'm sure this would have weighed on the release date and served no real practical benefit other than keeping everything connected and easier to find.
True. I was already running extremely late on release anyway due to time constraints so I just wanted to get it out there.
Some updates on actually active alerts:
  • Warning alert: user is correctly notified when he's warned. The alert displays additional infos such as how much warning points does the user receive and when does the warning expire.
  • Warning revoke alert: basically the above opposite, an alert is displayed whenever a warning is revoked before its normal expiration.
  • Open/close/delete thread alert: thread's author is notified when a moderator closes, opens or deletes one of his threads. Both single close/open/delete moderation (from the thread) and multiple close/open/delete moderation (from forumdisplay) work well.

Development seems to proceed really fast. The only issue I'm actually facing is how to set an alert as active by default (at the moment, existing users have to update their settings manually). Will ask euantor if he'll have spare time enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 4