MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CMS / Portal Mods - All Dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, spent about 30 odd mins searching the forums for a decent portal/cms modification for my website I'm trying to create using MyBB.
Its for a "Guild" and I would be trying to use the cms/portal to feed news and widgets related to the game/guild to users.

After searching all the ones I have found are no longer in development or are not up to date with the latest releases of MyBB (most are 1.4). Real shame in all honesty, I can remember a few of them from back in the day, but I personally never needed them back then haha!

If anyone knows of any in dev or that are working very nicely with the current release of MyBB I would be greatful for any response.

Edit; Just realised the forum I have posted in is proberly wrong please if a Moderator is able to move it for me, did try to delete the thread and remake it but was unable. I do apologise!
Pretty much. To be quite honest, last time I needed too, I just destroyed portal.php and revamped it. It took forever (Most likely because I suck) but it ended out being a lot easier then getting a system to work.
Yeah its been along time myself since i did any web work, but i took on the task of getting a website going for us. Haha. I'll just have to do quite a bit of reading and try and make use of what I have. It is allowed to edit the default portal code then I guess?
Yes you can. If you want a tutorial on how to do some edits to portal.php check out www.communityplugins.com
MKPortal was honestly the best of all of them and it died after 1.4 was released. Really a shame as I would have loved to have used it with 1.6.
There was a portal mod in progress, but real life hit the programmer hard.

There just seems to be a curse surrounding developing portal mods for 1.6.
Its really a shame because its an area MyBB still lacks. But like madcomp sad it seems to be a curse with 1.6 that portal mods are not allowed to be created :/

Also i wonder if somebody would ever write one if it would not be easier to completely start over and not do anything with portal.php just write a custom php page.
Well you could overwrite the portal.php to be a custom php page Toungue.

I think the issue is most don't feel the need the need for a full fledged CMS to go on top of MyBB. The default portal is pretty easy to customize with basic understandings of php.
(2012-12-13, 04:48 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Well you could overwrite the portal.php to be a custom php page Toungue.

I think the issue is most don't feel the need the need for a full fledged CMS to go on top of MyBB. The default portal is pretty easy to customize with basic understandings of php.

Think if somebody would rewrite the page to be all based on blocks it would already be much better. It would give the users much more options to customize various area's of a page.

This would be a great change. Simply upload a php/html file to a folder (for example portal). Then in the ACP the block shows up (just like a plugin does currently). Enable it after uploading and then it could be used on the portal. By simply inserting the variable (only useable after enabling) into the portal template.

For example:

File name = calendar_portal.php / rules.html
variable name = {$calendar_portal} / {$rules}

Would be a really nice way to add more customization to the page.
Of course this could be expended by having the option to create blocks directly in the ACP pick a name and insert the name into the portal template.
I'd like the ability show off certain forums latest posts separately from the rest. Be useful for FoodRatings and another site I run.

It causing me to think of switching it to a different script when I get cash to do so.
Pages: 1 2