MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Unnecessary downtime" is not a good idea.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Error Message:
Your board has not yet been upgraded. Please do so before attempting to browse it.
  • The above could/should be a "nag screen" or header notification that only admins see.

To completely disable the forum (even for "just a few seconds") is a really bad idea, IMO.

#
(From the wiki)
First, you may want to shut down your forum...
^^^
Shutting down the forum is not mandatory, and should not be, especially for Maintenance Point Upgrades.

##
  • Can anyone please tell me where the code is that checks the upgrade version and turns this into a "fatal" error?
Maybe there will be a plugin hook nearby?

###
Please, eliminate or improve this feature, thank you.

EDIT: You can disable this in init.php
I've never seen MyBB not let you browse a non-updated forum. Is this something new you guys added?

To my knowledge it was only in the Admin CP where it nagged you about the version you're using.
You don't understand the purpose of that feature. If you upload the files without running the upgrade script, you'll run in to errors around the board. For example, if a column was added in 1.8.1, and the database is running the schema from 1.8.0, you MUST upgrade to ensure your board is functioning correctly. What you're suggesting is to remove that check and allow the users to continue to use the board and allow them to run in to potential errors.

Upgrading the database schema is not an optional feature, therefore running the upgrade script shouldn't be.
Oh! So it only pops up when you uploaded files of a different version than the one the database is on. That makes sense. I just always updated right after uploading the files so never noticed I guess.
There are no database schema changes in this upgrade, content (themes yes), but not schema.

(2012-12-16, 02:32 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]If you upload the files without running the upgrade script, you'll run in to errors around the board. For example, if a column was added...

Possible errors > Completely down.

(2012-12-16, 02:32 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You don't understand the purpose of that feature...

Sure I do, thanks for the quick answer.
Do you know where the code for this is?

#
Is this "kill switch feature" needed?

We will protect you, but...
Q) There must be a better option?
A) Yes. There could be a config setting to turn "upgrade notice protection" on or off, right?

Please note:
'Pros' will have a dev server for testing;
Newbies can chase a few errors, they might learn something. Toungue

(In any case) Possible errors > Completely down.

(2012-12-16, 02:46 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Oh! So it only pops up when you uploaded files of a different version than the one the database is on....

(2012-12-16, 02:32 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]...
Upgrading the database schema is not an optional feature.

Unnecessary downtime is not a desired option at any time.
  • What are people with multiple forums supposed to do, just a little downtime for every site?
  • The upgrade announcement could even include the info re: the exact SQL for any schema changes. Then people have real options.
I would like this feature better if it used the theme's CSS or at least your forums logo.
(2012-12-16, 02:55 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]I would like this feature better if it used the theme's CSS or at least your forums logo.

Amen to that.
(2012-12-16, 02:58 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-16, 02:55 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]I would like this feature better if it used the theme's CSS or at least your forums logo.

Amen to that.
It is supposed to be ugly, with the one purpose of making you to run the upgrade script.
I don't think anyone is going to get distracted and not run the upgrade script if it looks better. "Oohhh, that's a pretty page." *nek minnit* No upgrade.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5