MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update like bbPress/WordPress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2012-12-16, 05:44 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Really upgrading is the deciding feature for you? While I see where you're coming from and think it should be included in 2.0 that's a juvenile response.

And a juvenile agrees with you...Wink.

Upload files using directory sync in FileZilla. Then go to a php file, click next a few times, delete the install directory in FileZilla. 4 steps.

Granted, I always block access to my forum when I am upgrading, but that's ultimately optional.
The only way i would agree with this is if it would only work for files on MyBB.com and you could never change the files from the ACP then i guess it wouldn't matter to much.

Might also be a good idea to only let an update feature work for currently installed plugins which have to still be manually installed. For the rest i think everybody agrees with the fact that having files all through the site is bad design. A plugin should have all its files within a folder within the plugin directory. Making it all far cleaner to download and update plugins. (including language files!)
Besides bbPress, I only know of WoltLab's Burning Board to have such a system. Beside these two, I'm afraid you don't have much alternative, even though Burning Board it's quite nice.
(2012-12-16, 08:56 PM)Kaeden Wrote: [ -> ]Besides bbPress, I only know of WoltLab's Burning Board to have such a system. Beside these two, I'm afraid you don't have much alternative, even though Burning Board it's quite nice.

I've already switched to a WordPress, BuddyPress, and bbPress combo for my sites. Best of all there's a theme that allows me to basically create my own themes using it as a base pretty darn easily.

Custom profile fields also helped with my decision (no default ones), as well as the fast responses I've been getting to my problems. Easier updates and quick installs also tipped my hand toward that combo.

Add the fact that they've got a way to warn visitors if your site has adult content before they even see the site, and it was easy for me to make the switch.
Pages: 1 2