MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your ideal index page layout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What would your ideal index page layout be in terms of content and structure? I'm talking side boxes, forum listings, etc.

I've been designing a new layout recently that works best with side boxes on the index (kind of like a portal). Here is what I currently have:

Main Column:
Forum Listings

Side Boxes (on right):
Who's Online
Various Stats
Ad Space for Future Use

I'm trying to make better use of the side box space than what I currently have. I'm thinking of putting an information box for users that are currently logged in.

What would be your ideal features and layout in an index page for your forum? I would love to see examples of useful and well layed-out main pages for forums (pages that have more than just the forum listings)
Well for me, forums are like secondary site sections (even when everything works around it, code and activity wise), but for my index page there should be the latest information regarding the site niche. In my case, news, and links to downloads/guides/etc.

I hate indexes where side panels just show not necessary data like online users, stats, etc. That should be at the bottom, it should be the last data users to be interested about.
(2012-12-17, 08:08 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Well for me, forums are like secondary site sections (even when everything works around it, code and activity wise), but for my index page there should be the latest information regarding the site niche. In my case, news, and links to downloads/guides/etc.

I hate indexes where side panels just show not necessary data like online users, stats, etc. That should be at the bottom, it should be the last data users to be interested about.
I completely agree with what you're saying about useless info in the side boxes. I kept trying to think of things to fill the side boxes with, rather than finding meaningful and purposeful resources for my users. It should be quality/quantity.

I guess another question to ponder: Are stats even really necessary on the index page? Is this something the average end-user can do anything with?

I know from my experience I can use it to quickly judge how developed and active a forum might be, but I don't know if I use it so much because I've been let down so often with some of the Showcase forum submissions Toungue.
I hate the side boxes as well. It's just useless information for most users.
Stats are useful when it is shown to the right user. Who may be interested on the views of a thread? Apart from the thread author, pretty much nobody, so do remove it from the forum display and search pages and add it to the show thread page.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-122216.html

If you are unsure about removing stuff then move it to the appropriate places where you consider it may be of more use.
I dislike sideboxes but it is a bit ugly on a wide screen to have the index forum bits stretching about 1400 pixels of wideopen empty.

I have it that my sideboxes disappear on screens under 1024, show reduced content on 1024 to 1280 and add a load of cruft for screens over 1280 Big Grin

I just did an index reworking that has no stats, no last poster column, no on off column, no birthdays, no threads and posts column.... - it is down to Forum name and description and a link to view topics as otherwise it looked naked. Mark as read? They can look at the forumdisplay.
i know you started off with mentioning forum display, but i am curious if you mean the forum index or your site index? totally different discussions IMHO
Ideally, it should probably look absolutely nothing like what we understand a forum to look like. Unfortunately, I haven't found the ideal I'm searching for yet.

Sideboxes really need to be justified. Most sites don't do this. If you're just gonna stick ads and cruft there, that's a crappy user experience. I think on my site the sidebox is actually useful, though YMMV.

You should always decide what you actually want to do before you look at themes; otherwise you'll end up shoehorning in features you don't really need.
Yea, this is my index on leefish - since I am a downloads site I think that the sidebar does add value. For my members that list changes over to the Blabberfish - Custom status on index reworked a little.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/index.php
Content always needs to be the main attraction on your index page, so display it well. I don't get the sidebox hate, I love them, they're the future. Index pages should be welcoming, and easy, that's it.
Pages: 1 2