MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [MADE] Avatar next to quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This request has been filled. Thanks to frostschutz! <3

Download:
http://mods.mybb.com/view/quovatar

Screenshot of my forum (what it can look like with little styling applied) :
[Image: w7v5f.png]

If you need help styling it, you can contact me. Smile
OMG, I would love to have something like this. I've never thought about it but it adds a whole new atmosphere to the board. I've been wondering what that special something about a lot of forums was Toungue
Looks nice, would help identify members in a thread with lots of quotes.

I don't have a clue how to make it, but I would use it if it became available.
The quote tag only gives a username (which is unreliable) and a post id.

It could be done without extra queries for quoted posts which appear on the same page. As those posts already come with their users avatars by default.

For quotes from other pages or other threads, you'd have to query the database for the avatar. Without optimization that'd be one joined query per quote (mybb_posts table for the post's user id, mybb_users table for that user's avatar, if he has one).

It'll probably involve code changes, or monkey patching the post parser, as there is no direct hook for the quote parsing.

Nesting level would probably somehow have to be determined too, as it should probably stop displaying avatars if there is too much nesting, since the avatars take up too much space for that.

That's quite a lot of effort for a small image next to a quote.
"it makes threads ~20% cooler" lol

Looks OK but I think I prefer without, or maybe reduce the avatar size to icon size.
Whatever it takes, in my opinion it's worth it.
Pretty used to it and I really miss it, even if it's a minor thing - the little things count aswell.
My goal is to make MyBB more "awesome" (visually stunning, yet simple) than XenForo and I'm on a good way.
There are a few things I can't do with template edits though, this is one of them and I wouldn't feel like my goal is acomplished if I can't make this happen. Sad
Personally I wouldn't need the nested feature, since I don't like/use nested quotes anyway.

This opens the door for stunning designs, I found a nice example here: http://tympanus.net/Tutorials/ModernBloc...ndex3.html
I'll try taking this one on, I've been looking for another plugin to work on Toungue
I'll let you know if I achieve anything ^_^.
(2012-12-21, 02:05 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try taking this one on, I've been looking for another plugin to work on Toungue
I'll let you know if I achieve anything ^_^.

Yay! Good luck. Smile
Here's the ultra ugly version which wastes one query per quote.

Polarbear541 to the rescue! Toungue
couldnt you set placeholders in the template and "cache" the quoted pids during build_postbit and at the end query the avatars and loop through them replacing each avatar?

in postbit use {$quovatar} and for each postbit, replace that with <quovatar_PID> (like navigation, but change PID with the actual PID.

the during pre_output_page, string replace all the <quovatar_X> with the avatar image code you queried all together. for those without avatars, you replace with empty string or a default avatar.

one query at the end and a decent loop is better than a bunch of queries.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5