MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How does the "install" work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you have in the hostname field?

As for MySQL version, anything > 5 should work just fine. Do you have the mysqli php extension installed on your server?
Hi,

I've created a data base. But don't know how to get it implemented to the web site.
Here are only fields I have in MySQL database manager:
Database Username: w1nrgcom17542294
DBtype:MySQL5
DB Host: sql5c40a.carrierzone.com
Available Databases: marcforum_w1nrgcom17542294

And in the forum/install page I have:
Database Server Hostname:localhost
Database Username:w1nrgcom17542294
Database Password:****
Database Name:sql5c40a.carrierzone.com
Table Prefix:mybb_

The control panel SQL application does all the "naming" except where I was given any options.
The error I get is "Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?"

I'm thinking I have to do something else from my ISP's control panel to maybe put files in place or something. But can't find anything more to do. My last step finishes in control panel MySQL setup and says it's finished and everything was okay.
I believe you need to have marcforum_w1nrgcom17542294 be what you have for the database name.
(2012-12-27, 11:10 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I believe you need to have marcforum_w1nrgcom17542294 be what you have for the database name.

I tried this. Still get the error.
Change the host name to sql5c40a.carrierzone.com
For the database username there is normally a prefix, in your case it could be "marcforum_" ad that before the username you are using and that should work.

The other thing to check is, have you given that user all the access rights to that database ? if you have not, C panel will not allow you to write to it.

Go into your C Panel,then go to MySQL databases, click on that, (1)find the database you have created, in the next column to the right you have a list of users, if the username you chose is not listed, you have to add it, using the "add user" fucntion.

Near the bottom of the page you should see "Add new user to Database" underneath are drop down menu's use the top one to select the database, use the lower one to select the user.

The user should now appear in the list, next to the database name in (1} above, click on the name and you will be taken to a new page, "Manage User Privileges" check the box marked "All Privileges"

Now you should be able to get past the Database configuration screen.
(2012-12-28, 03:00 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]The other thing to check is, have you given that user all the access rights to that database ? if you have not, C panel will not allow you to write to it.

I've already done everything that can be done in the control panel with the SQL database.

Days ago, I deleted the two databases from the server and installed a new one. Everything says it's okay. I activated all read/write and other privileges for the newly created account and user. I checked and verified the password. The only fields available to me on my ISP's MySQL control panel are

User Name
DB Type
DB Host
Available Databases

I have to assume the "Available databases" is what MyBBS calls "Database Name".

I've tried every combination of things and nothing works. Remember .. After a long time trying to just get my FTP account to work, my ISP told me that my account was all screwed up in both accounting and both actual domains (I have two) Over the weekend they re-did my full account (with apologies from them) They said they had never seen anything like my problem before. (of course <grin>)

NOW everything in my extensive ISP control panel works. I blew away all the old stuff on the server and proceeded to install a simple one page web site for testing. All seems fine. I then ran the MyBBS install and it works fine up to this new problem with the SQL.

Note .. when the problem cropped up a couple months ago, the w1nrg.com domain (where the old forum was) was almost dead. No FTP etc. But the 2nd domain (although also having problems) did have a working FTP.

When the ISP finally redid the whole server, everything came back to normal.

Understand that I've been battling with this thinking it was my error. Now that I see the ISP found the server screwed I can once again use my control panel.

But I'm wondering if the ISP didn't get EVERYTHING fixed. I had to be transferred to their third tier of support before they were able to figure it out and fix it. I wonder if they missed something in there side of the sql database?

Where exactly on my server does the SQL database reside? Or is there only data there? How can I check the sql data base?

For kicks, I'll add a second user in my control panel and try MyBSS again.

I guess another call to my ISP is order?
(2012-12-28, 06:32 PM)Rich A Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-28, 03:00 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]The other thing to check is, have you given that user all the access rights to that database ? if you have not, C panel will not allow you to write to it.

I've already done everything that can be done in the control panel with the SQL database.

Days ago, I deleted the two databases from the server and installed a new one. Everything says it's okay. I activated all read/write and other privileges for the newly created account and user. I checked and verified the password. The only fields available to me on my ISP's MySQL control panel are

User Name
DB Type
DB Host
Available Databases

I have to assume the "Available databases" is what MyBBS calls "Database Name".

I've tried every combination of things and nothing works. Remember .. After a long time trying to just get my FTP account to work, my ISP told me that my account was all screwed up in both accounting and both actual domains (I have two) Over the weekend they re-did my full account (with apologies from them) They said they had never seen anything like my problem before. (of course <grin>)

NOW everything in my extensive ISP control panel works. I blew away all the old stuff on the server and proceeded to install a simple one page web site for testing. All seems fine. I then ran the MyBBS install and it works fine up to this new problem with the SQL.

Note .. when the problem cropped up a couple months ago, the w1nrg.com domain (where the old forum was) was almost dead. No FTP etc. But the 2nd domain (although also having problems) did have a working FTP.

When the ISP finally redid the whole server, everything came back to normal.

Understand that I've been battling with this thinking it was my error. Now that I see the ISP found the server screwed I can once again use my control panel.

But I'm wondering if the ISP didn't get EVERYTHING fixed. I had to be transferred to their third tier of support before they were able to figure it out and fix it. I wonder if they missed something in there side of the sql database?

Where exactly on my server does the SQL database reside? Or is there only data there? How can I check the sql data base?

For kicks, I'll add a second user in my control panel and try MyBSS again.

I guess another call to my ISP is order?

Rich I think I can sort this out for you, but I need you to PM my some details.
I need your FTP account details.
Hostname and CPanel login details

With these I think I can get you a board up and running.
Rich I think I can sort this out for you, but I need you to PM my some details.
I need your FTP account details.
Hostname and CPanel login details

With these I think I can get you a board up and running.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The pass for the FTP account is the same as the one for the SQL pass. (forgot to put that in my PM to you.

Thanks again. Rich

Well thanks to "spangle" we've moved forward and past the SQL area. But we now have a new problem that says in part "forum/inc/languages/english/global.lang.php does not exist"

Armed with that info, I tried to access the folder in question and was denied access ?? So I changed the privileges for that folder and all the lower child folders and files. I can now access that area.

I thought I would try another install from scratch, however now the MyBBS software is reporting that the installer is "locked" and can't proceed. How do I "unlock" the installer?

Success ... (I think) ... I had to reset the permissions for the languages and remove the lock file. Then I copied all the missing files that should have been in the languages/english folder. It was empty. And at least now I can log into the forum.

I think we can close this thread. Now I'll be be spending some time with the documentation and setting up the forum.

Thanks to all who helped.

- Rich
This is the most common form of installation. An installation process usually needs a user who attends it to make choices, such as accepting or declining an end-user license agreement (EULA), specifying preferences such as the installation location, supplying passwords or assisting in product activation. In graphical environments, installers that offer a wizard-based interface are common. Attended installers may ask users to help mitigate the errors. For instance, if the disk in which the computer program is be installed was full,the installer may ask the user to specify another target path.
[Image: personal-injury-attorney.png]
Pages: 1 2