MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread won't bump, but I replied here again and I'm offering to pay for this mod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NOTE: Skip down to post #3 for my most updated comment/request regarding this. I am trying to get a modification done that will allow the "Who Viewed Topic" plugin to show me more than just the 'last visit' of a user to that thread. I originally wanted all visits, but realized that would be too intensive. I'd like to record the very FIRST visit of the user, plus show the most recent visit. (so, only 2 recorded visits per unique user at any given time; first and last view)

Thanks! I am loving this forum so far!
(2012-12-23, 01:40 AM)CheckingThis Wrote: [ -> ]I recently posted in this section asking if anyone would be willing to modify the "who viewed topic" plugin, making it so it records all visits from each unique user instead of only the most recent visit. (I want to see all visits from each user, to the thread)

I tried replying to the topic to update and change my question a bit, but the reply function seems to be glitching currently so I figured I'd just post a new thread since I'm no longer asking for it to be made "for" me.

Basically if anyone even has an idea of what direction to point me in to make this modification myself, I probably can do it. I am familiar with some coding and have modified other plugins; it's just that with this one I'm not sure where to even begin looking. I'm guessing it's a very simple change once I'm pointed in the direction of "look at xxxx to make this change." Anyone who can just point me in the direction of what to look at to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! I am loving this forum so far!

You could i think achieve it two ways either with a small core edit to remove the time restriction. Or make a plugin to do it, which would then of course also remove all the guests (would look cleaner) that way to without guests.

If you go for the second option and do it plugin based i would disable the members viewing this thread option. Would cause you not to gain an additional query anymore.

You would need a plugin for it, one that is quite resource intensive even. Since the table created by it will grow to quite large proportions. Especially on an active site.
Thanks for the tip - You do make a very good point about the proportions the table will grow too. It may take more changing/coding than what I can personally accomplish, after all...

Would anyone know of a way to just make it record the first and last visit from each unique user? In other words... if I look at "Sam," I want to know the first time Sam ever viewed that thread, and the most recent time he viewed it. The additional visits inbetween don't matter as much, so they can be overwritten.

I know I'm getting more complicated in the request but can anyone help me out? I can return favors such as being an editor for some of your content if you aren't the best at English, or if you just don't like writing in general. I'll do whatever I can to pay back the time and effort.
(2012-12-23, 10:06 PM)CheckingThis Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the tip - You do make a very good point about the proportions the table will grow too. It may take more changing/coding than what I can personally accomplish, after all...

Would anyone know of a way to just make it record the first and last visit from each unique user? In other words... if I look at "Sam," I want to know the first time Sam ever viewed that thread, and the most recent time he viewed it. The additional visits inbetween don't matter as much, so they can be overwritten.

I know I'm getting more complicated in the request but can anyone help me out? I can return favors such as being an editor for some of your content if you aren't the best at English, or if you just don't like writing in general. I'll do whatever I can to pay back the time and effort.

I think you could make it work in a way that it would only add a user to that tid if it has not been there before. Don't include guests then it would probably not get to big.
Though you would for what you want need a table with tid / uid / first visit / last visit and a join to figure out if the user is invisible. And last visit would have to be updated every time a users visits.
And you want this to display when you hover over the persons name? like a little tool tip with first visit / last visit?
Sure, the tool tip sounds like a fun bonus that I didn't think of, although I would probably want to be able to turn that feature on/off for users at my own discretion. I'm actually not sure if I'd want all users to be able to view it that easily... hmm...

I definitely am having no luck on this issue myself. Something just isn't connecting in my brain for what to do here.

If anyone is willing to make this mod for me, am I allowed to offer a few bucks via Paypal? I'm not working with a lot of cash here but I'd even be willing to pay if this can be done for me.

I desperately want to be able to always go back and verify the first time a user ever viewed a thread. This is because my forum is based heavily on written competitions and we have "judges" that are supposed to actually read posts and grade them. I've got a couple judges who I suspect aren't really doing their job right, and are just looking at posts last-minute instead of grading them properly. I need to be able to physically see if a person really did open a specific thread X number of days ago.

Currently, the "who viewed topic" plugin ONLY keeps the most recent visit by a user, so there's no way for me to verify the very first time the user clicked on a thread.

Again I'm not sure if we're allowed to offer a few bucks via Paypal, but I'd be willing. Anyone?