MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Keeping HTML Tags Tidy!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm a user in an Iranian forum that uses your beautiful forum software.

Most people in that forum use formatted text in editor, and sometimes have problem with reformatting text. You know, because HTML tags go out of the correct sequence.

The only way the forum administrators knew for this, was to remove formatting from editor, and editing tags directly.

I want to suggest a change in editor's functionality, so that, instead of just adding HTML tags to the selected text, all other tags of the same kind be removed from it as well.

For example, if size is being changed, all other size tags be removed from the selected text.

Also, it seems in the time of adding some tags like color, instead of adding a pair of tags to the selected text, a pair is added to every paragraph.

Thank you for the good work Smile
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the bbcode or the output from the post processor?

(2012-12-23, 10:04 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the bbcode or the output from the post processor?
Thanks for the reply. Smile
I'm not sure I understand what you mean either. Big Grin

As far as I've looked through the file "editor.js" that does Javascript for the editor, I guess bbcode is used internally by the editor. If the output from the post processor is the HTML content, I'm talking about that.

To explain more:
The editor in that forum is quite like this one here, except that you can write formatted text in the editor as well(It has a button in the top right, that toggles the editing mode).

Editing tags directly(like the editor here) is still a good way(which the admins of that forum tell the users that have problems).

I'm just saying that everybody that uses the editor to edit formatted text, expects it to behave the way a word processing application does, and it's not achievable by just adding a pair of HTML tags to the final result, because a word processing application would also remove all other formatting of the same kind.

So, the editor should remove some tags or reposition them, in order to keep them tidy.

If this MyBB forum uses the newest version of MyBB, so this feature of editing formatted text has become obsolete(unless this forum's admin has had the option to remove it). If the programmers have decided to remove the whole feature, I shouldn't expect anything about it.

What I'm suggesting is not critical at all, but helps some people that are not much into these things, to more simply edit text.