MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop forum spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What's the chances of adding this by default on mybb on feature builds
http://community.mybb.com/thread-63764-p...#pid949496

It has been considered what the investigation turned out for answer though is left as a question mark. But i think it will not happen. Even with the update to 1.4 which has added a better and improved version to prevent spam.

But it has my support to let it be integrated. Still find it one of the most effect plugins but their are down sides to it. Timeouts can still happen on the registration page. If stopforumspam.com is down so the fail safe is not really 100% fail safe. And it relies on a third party site which is also a big down side.

Maybe tom will shed some light on the decision made. Regarding the integration.
In the last couple weeks Stop Forum Spam I've been getting registrations from people who are blacklisted on Stop Forum Spam. So I think the system is getting more overloaded.
Since the 16th stop forum spam has prevented for me:

Quote:Total amount of spam accounts this month is: 629

It though before cleaning the log the 15th. Had a couple of errors 2 days after each other. Those errors sadly currently can cause a time out error. Which should be prevented by the plugin.
Might have saved the file from 1 november till 15 december.. had far over the 2000 lines with spammers so.

Was a file from november 27th till december 16th. Total amount of spam accounts 1533 give or take a few (due to the raw file having some lines being pushed down while the above is right from the script i use to read the file and give me an answer immediately). Total errors as far as i can see 0 in that time.
Would rather see registration question as core.
(2012-12-24, 06:08 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Would rather see registration question as core.

Why not have both? They would always stay options something you can toggle on / off with the flick of a switch so.
(2012-12-24, 06:08 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Would rather see registration question as core.

No code as yet, but it's been brought up internally. I'd say there's a decent chance it will be implemented along with other anti-spam features. I'm not 100% sure if SFS will be included.
(2012-12-24, 06:26 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]

Why not have both? They would always stay options something you can toggle on / off with the flick of a switch so.

No problem with having both, but if I could pick one or the other, registration question is more elegant and IMO has a lower chance of false-positives.
Can we do it yes or no
(2012-12-26, 01:17 AM)david-w Wrote: [ -> ]Can we do it yes or no

There's no definite answer as far as I'm aware.
Pages: 1 2 3 4