MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Maximum Message Length
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been wondering if it would be useful or even viable to set Maximum Message Length on a forum by forum bases. Does this bring any pro's or con's or are their really none at all for doing something like this?

Just something i have been wondering. And if it has pro's for forums containing large posts. What would be the easiest way to go about adding such an option a plugin? core edit?
Still wondering if there would be any use changing this with a plugin for example on a forum by forum basis.
You can achieve this with Xthreads.
(2012-12-26, 12:17 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]You can achieve this with Xthreads.

Still remains the question is there any benefit of doing so or does it not really matter?
Database wise it still uses the same amount of space whether you allow a post to be 1 character or 10,000 characters. What matters in determining the amount of space it takes to store the post is the column type of the message field.
(2012-12-26, 07:23 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Database wise it still uses the same amount of space whether you allow a post to be 1 character or 10,000 characters. What matters in determining the amount of space it takes to store the post is the column type of the message field.

The column type of the message field? What exactly do you mean by this?
Each field in a database has a type. Types can be like Integer, BigInt, TinyInt, Text,MediumText,LongText, etc. You want to read up on SQL to get more information.
(2012-12-27, 01:34 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Each field in a database has a type. Types can be like Integer, BigInt, TinyInt, Text,MediumText,LongText, etc. You want to read up on SQL to get more information.

Ah okay, yes then i understood you the first time wasn't sure. So their are no realy pro's / con's currently to increase / decrease the value.

Would mean writing a plugin/core edit for it to change on a section by section bases would be usefull and i guess xthreads is able to do that with the settings override feature thank you for your help Smile
It wouldn't really be that useful to change the number of characters on a per forum basis. All it would accomplish is more code to execute before the page is output.
(2012-12-27, 01:09 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't really be that useful to change the number of characters on a per forum basis. All it would accomplish is more code to execute before the page is output.

Well i think for me the only use would be to have one forum allowed to post larger posts regarding stories etc. but otherwise its a bit of a weird thing to change normally i agree with that.