MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1) I was browsing the forums and came across a user asking a question, and somebody replied telling him he's not allowed to ask a question and then banned him. I kind of laughed, but then got worried, because I legitimately don't see a problem with his question. I just see somebody telling him he's "denied support" and banning him for asking a question. lol

MY question is... how does this happen to a user? I guess since I'm new here I want to make sure I don't get "denied support" when the reason I'm here is to both ask for and offer support as I continue to learn MyBB's ins and outs. What does a person do to get a tag stamped on their account/posts that says people aren't allowed to give them support? lol

2) If I have a very specific and/or private question... who are the people here with authority that we are allowed to contact privately? I've noticed some of the support/staff on these boards either directly say NOT to PM them, or they flat out have PM disabled unless you're on their buddy list. Who are the people that welcome a PM and will reply to them, on the support staff? I definitely don't want to offend anyone by attempting contact if they are against it.

Thanks guys!
1) A lot of users are denied support because of they either don't have the MyBB copyright on their forums, or their forums are of some illegal nature. Just because you're denied support doesn't mean you're banned. As a matter of fact, some of the top contributors here have been denied support.

2) You're best off creating a thread here. It will be private, and you can be sure that the right staff member will read it.

I hope this helps you, and welcome to the forums! Smile
Ah, makes perfect sense! Yeah I definitely am leaving the MyBB copyright on my forums; it just seems like the right thing to do in return for being given such an outstanding product to use.

Thanks for the quick help!
See: http://docs.mybb.com/Help-Support_eligibility.html

We just have a set of very reasonable requirements for us to spend time helping people. Like you said, keeping a small piece of text in your footer for all the hours that have gone into development, in addition to the hours that may be spent helping you, isn't much to ask, but unfortunately some people don't agree Smile The other side of it is just based on content for legal/moral reasons; there are some sites we don't really want to help or be seen supporting.

As for support PMs, it depends what it is. If it's a 'plz plz reply 2 my thread plz its urgent plz plz' sort of PM, that'll annoy just about anybody (especially when it really isn't urgent). Generally we don't like being PM'd for support because it's a bit invasive to ask for help directly (you kinda feel pressured to help them and repsond quickly so they don't keep PMing you (some people send you a PM every 5 minutes if you don't reply...)) and the whole point of us having a forum is that support is posted there so everybody can see it, contribute and learn from it. We do have a private forum http://community.mybb.com/forum-135.html where you can contact staff 'privately' as you can only see your own threads (we can see all obviously) so you can use that. However, if there is something you genuinely want to ask a staff member totally privately via PM then if you say hello, please and thank you then you'll be very unlikely to cause any problems (as long as you're not just linking them to your support thread) Smile As a general rule though, keep support to the forums.

Hope that helps Smile
I really doubt the user was banned because of one simple question (with support denied or not), there can be other private/hidden factors involved into that decision.
I think the OP is referring to someone who was denied support, then tried to circumvent by posting in GD/Suggestions.