MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

[Image: ss_ACP_2_zps811e49c1.gif]

Advanced Sidebox (ASB for the lazy :p) allows admins to freely design side boxes for the forum in an intuitive and powerful way. Built over time with the advice of too many of its users to name, ASB has become the optimal solution for managing side boxes with the MyBB forum system.

Features:
  • create an unlimited amount of side boxes
  • side boxes on left, right or both
  • create and save side boxes with custom HTML
  • add side boxes to almost any page
  • control which user group(s) the side boxes display for
  • control which script(s) the side boxes display in
  • control which theme(s) the side boxes display on
  • ACP drag and drop interface
  • JavaScript visibility toggle icons for columns (uses cookies to remember states)
  • easily create advertisement spots
  • side boxes expand/collapse just like the MyBB core windows
  • ability to disable the plugin for specific themes
  • intuitive side box management page in ACP
  • import/export custom side boxes to XML to backup, restore and share
  • option for users to individually disable side boxes but can be disabled
  • context-sensitive help pages in ACP
  • extensible from single file modules
  • CodePress supported when editing custom side boxes (if enabled in ACP)
  • compatible with Page Manager pages and custom scripts
  • AJAX Update integrated into the core and six of the core modules! (listed below)
Current side box types available:
  • [Image: mBKvXNk.png]Top Poster
  • [Image: mBKvXNk.png]Slideshow
  • Recent Posts [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • Who's Online [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • Latest Threads [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • Welcome
  • Statistics
  • Private Messages [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • Search
  • Random Quotes [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • Staff Online [Image: nw832ed.png]
  • You can also create your own custom box types with static content

[Image: ss_index_both_zps77261095.gif]

My forum has used this plugin since late 2011, although it has been in various stages of development at different times and I don't always use the latest version. It is stable and has shown only small issues that I have tried to fix as I've noticed.

Resources:

Support

I make no guarantees of support but I will always try.

For help with Installation and Upgrades look here: https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Advanc...stallation

Bugs/Issues

Please report any problems found at the GitHub repository for this project, in this thread or in a new thread on MyBB Community Forums. Although I will answer questions at my own forum, I prefer not to.

https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Advanced-Sidebox

Extensibility

This plugin uses single file modules to define different box types and developers can create custom box types for the Admin to use easily.

See: Advanced Sidebox Extensibility Reference

Third Party Addons

A list is maintained here of any modules created by users or any MyBB plugins that integrate with ASB:

https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Advanc...iki/Addons

Make Advanced Sidebox Better!

Feel free to add advice or feedback. Go to GitHub and collaborate. Help and advice is welcome. Smile

Screen Shots:

ACP

[attachment=28174][attachment=28176][attachment=28177][attachment=28178][attachment=28597]

UCP

[attachment=28127]

FORUM

[attachment=28129]
Optional Downloads and Examples

Page Manager and ASB Example:[attachment=30109]

Custom page (not Page Manager):[attachment=30915]

And here are some example implementations of extra pages:

A default search results page (when viewed by thread):[attachment=30114]

A better search results page (when viewed by thread):[attachment=30115]

What People Are Saying About ASB

(2013-01-03, 02:34 PM)Jockl Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this plugin, Wildcard!
(2013-01-08, 02:00 AM)Ryuuseiken Wrote: [ -> ]Good plugin, I love it.
(2013-01-12, 01:33 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]Advanced Sideboxes plugin is Great, but i can see, with each update it gets even greater!! [...] Believe me, It would be a waste to not update to new version when it came out.
(2013-01-16, 04:02 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Just installed it on my test board. Seems well-coded and well-organized in the ACP [...] an excellent piece of work.
(2013-01-19, 11:05 AM)lexy Wrote: [ -> ]this plugin must be premium, and you deserve to earn money from it
(2013-01-23, 07:27 PM)mike537 Wrote: [ -> ]Glad this plugin has now been updated and more user friendly, excellent plugin and works brilliant [...] So easy to use and customise, well done Wildcard for all your hard workCool
(2013-01-25, 06:59 AM)bizzarela Wrote: [ -> ]Hi awesome plugin you have here [...]
(2013-01-31, 09:06 PM)Alone warrior Wrote: [ -> ]Good plugin, using it with radiotune to play songs on index Big Grin
(2013-02-13, 07:39 PM)mike537 Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent plugin gets better with every improvement, love the ability to select which user groups can view which side box. [...] Nice one Wildcard and thanks to all involved for all the hard work. Cool
(2013-02-14, 11:05 AM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]I have to say that I am impressed what a great plugin you created and what work you put into it, including taking on ideas from other users. And on top, you dont charge a cent for all that.
(2013-03-13, 09:33 PM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]I just discovered this plugin today, it's incredible! Bravo
(2013-04-08, 07:47 PM)bronson Wrote: [ -> ]This is a fantastic plugin! Thank you.
(2013-04-13, 07:19 AM)FB92 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much for this. I thought it would be Horror again by needing this that I would have to code everything myself. But this is the easiest way to get sidebars plus it's so easy to pick where you want them.
(2013-04-13, 02:29 PM)H3c!f0r Wrote: [ -> ]thank you very much looking good
(2013-04-21, 03:27 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if I already let you know but I love this plugin! One of my favorites.Keep up the good work! Smile
(2013-04-29, 03:07 AM)bekircem Wrote: [ -> ]Very good plugin Wildcard, thank you!
(2013-05-01, 01:58 AM)dakmrak1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot,this did the job!You rock,Wildcard!
(2013-05-25, 02:52 AM)Tato Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much for taking the time to help the community.
(2013-05-31, 08:21 PM)mostarac Wrote: [ -> ]nice plugin keep it up
(2013-06-01, 12:27 PM)k1R@ Wrote: [ -> ]One of the best plugins out there. [...] Thank you so much Wink
(2013-06-16, 09:06 PM)TDB Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet!
Thanks for taking the time to further develop an already great plugin. Can't wait to try it out...On the go now so I have a long wait.
(2013-07-04, 06:34 AM)weast1970 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanx very much installed and works great no problem amazing plugin very impressed
(2013-07-07, 04:09 PM)techlib Wrote: [ -> ]Adding something like addthis buttons, taking only a few seconds! It is really great to have such a powerful plugin.
(2013-07-10, 05:11 AM)meethere Wrote: [ -> ]Hi wildcard [...] great plugin Smile
(2013-07-11, 07:19 AM)new1 Wrote: [ -> ]This is cool pluggin. I m placing ads using this pluggin in sides. Cool!!
(2013-07-17, 11:18 PM)Lindsiria Wrote: [ -> ]I love the whole set up and ease of your plugin. I love the javascript/ajax in the manage sideboxes and the different options for the modules. I am also a fan of allowing anyone to create modules and sharing them. You also have a lot more options than most sideboxes and the ability to expand on this plugin is amazing.
(2013-08-05, 05:32 AM)Pcsl Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I love this plugin. Thank you very much for developing it, it's so useful...
(2013-08-15, 03:31 PM)hiker Wrote: [ -> ]First I want to thank you for making this plugin!!! Thank You!
(2013-09-01, 06:19 AM)leonidas Wrote: [ -> ]got it to work already! thanks wildcard! your plugins (advanced SB & mentionMe) are the best! Smile
(2013-09-11, 04:45 AM)dthiago Wrote: [ -> ]Amazing!
(2013-09-14, 10:19 AM)k1R@ Wrote: [ -> ]I like the 2.0. Awesome work. Finally thread id in random quotes. Big Grin
(2013-09-24, 11:14 AM)Tanweth Wrote: [ -> ]I just updated to 2.0 a couple of days ago, and I am very much enjoying the changes. [...] So, I must once again thank you for all of your hard work. This has become one of the most integral plugins to my forum now! Big Grin
(2013-12-24, 04:59 PM)Trill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice plugin mate. It looks really good.
(2013-12-25, 05:07 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff WildCard. [...] Plugins like ASB are the kind of plugins that really help elevate MyBB as a solid alternative to paid options (e.g. vBulletin).
(2014-01-22, 05:05 AM)Jump1979man Wrote: [ -> ]Great mod!
(2014-01-29, 02:42 PM)cafeína Wrote: [ -> ][...] thanks Wildcard of all of your constant work
it is work or not??
Thank you for this plugin, Wildcard!

(2012-12-26, 09:19 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]The latest threads box now uses gotounread jump link arrows [Image: jump.gif]

Does this really work? I can't find any code to determine the datecut which seems to be needed to jump to the first unread post.
(2013-01-03, 08:23 AM)bizzarela Wrote: [ -> ]it is work or not??

Of course it works.

This plugin is live on my forum and has been for over 1 year.

(2013-01-03, 02:34 PM)Jockl Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this plugin, Wildcard!

(2012-12-26, 09:19 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]The latest threads box now uses gotounread jump link arrows [Image: jump.gif]

Does this really work? I can't find any code to determine the datecut which seems to be needed to jump to the first unread post.

I'm not doing a date-cut. The gotounread links are always there and always take the viewer to the first unread post.

EDIT: ^ no longer true we are doing a date-cut now so you only see the jump icon when it is appropriate
Are you sure? It seems that the "unread post" is always the same as "lastpost".
Seems that this account is not valid (anymore). But I did a check on my testforum and it worked. I had in mind that this green arrow should not be shown once the post has been read but this is something you haven't considered. But the link itself works.

Nice plugin! Smile

I do have a proposal for a future version of the plugin. Could you put the icons into a plugin specific folder (e.g. images/advs_images)?
Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, I guess an images directory makes sense. Make an issue on GitHub and you can track when I've changed it Smile
Looks promising. Are there any available extensions except those default in package?

I suggest making the "Show On" options box-specific. For example if I'd made a box with share options, I'd like to have it only in thread but the rest of boxes also on index and forum display.

Also, I think jQuery arrows or whatever with cookies like SideBoxes plugin has (but in this case could be on both sides) would be nicer than UCP setting for turning it on/off.