MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS Feed Poster - Issue's solved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had problems with the RSS Feed Poster for the last two weeks trying to figure out why it did not post as expected, except when I did it manually. After getting input from several people and read previous articles of issues with this script I realized what my error was. If you have these problems you may want to try my solution:

1. Set the time in minutes that defaults to 360 minutes to 5 minutes, which is the lowest value you can set, this setting is located in the page that you are setting up your Feed Poster feeds.

2. Set the times settings in task manager to all "*" & "every" at first for your testing purposes. Once it is working to your satisfaction adjust the update time you desire with the task manager leaving the settings in RSS Feed Poster at the 5 minute interval that was previous set.

Bye
also, by default, tasks can not run more than once every five minutes (lock time), even if you set it otherwise. this is to prevent run away processes
(2012-12-28, 06:55 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]also, by default, tasks can not run more than once every five minutes (lock time), even if you set it otherwise. this is to prevent run away processes

Why is the setting of "*" on the minute field allowed, that is what the task manager defaults to. Why doesn't just change it to an acceptable value than allow it to be set to an value less then 5 minutes. I have mine set for 30 and 59 minutes. The setting in my posting is only intended for testing and not for any long term use.
If no usr comes for 6 minutes then the task will run then rather than waiting until 10 minutes for another potential visitor to trigger it. Don't think of the times as explicit times to run as with cron, but more like when the tasks are allowed to run if triggered.
(2012-12-28, 08:12 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]If no usr comes for 6 minutes then the task will run then rather than waiting until 10 minutes for another potential visitor to trigger it. Don't think of the times as explicit times to run as with cron, but more like when the tasks are allowed to run if triggered.

Well the RSS Feed Poster is working well now it is an 100% improvement from two days ago. Do you have any idea how the interval setting within the Feed Poster & Task Manger time setting work together if they even do?
the task manger time settings are independent of the feed poster. the task manager specifies how often the task itself can run and then the feed setting tells often if can be run when the task runs.

so if you run task every 15 minutes, but your feed is set to 30 minutes, then the task will run but the feed wont go until the second time the task runs. this is good so you can run different feeds at different intervals. for one feed it makes no difference, but for two ro more feeds, it works well
Okay, so I'm in the same boat and I'm wanting to understand this clearly.
Let's say I set the feeds to 720 minutes or 1440 minutes for multiple feeds.
If I want the them to parse and paste would it be best to set the task to 60 minutes? Would or could it miss? ty
I would set the task to run at 60 minutes, but note that the tasks only run when someone visits a forum page so it may not actually run at that time.

what happens is that the task will run and if the task time is after the feed time the feed will get processed. if the task time is before the next feed time, then the feed will not run until the next task time, so it would be possible to miss a feed processing by 59 minutes as the time differences add up over the hour, but once it runs it essentially resets the difference and it starts all over.