MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does any one have a Nexus 7? How is it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2012-12-29, 08:27 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just saying that amazon had more incentive to be more tablet friendly than google did.

I agree. Some complain that the Kindle is simply a tool to sell Amazon products but I actually like that about it.

Amazon Prime is great for I run Netflix on mine too. They also offer daily deals for free apps that are normally paid. I've gotten tons of free apps as well as paid for many too.

I spent more in a week with my Nexus than I did with my Kindle in a year. Seemed every decent app I wanted cost a few bucks. Very few good free alternatives.

Also I'm getting older and far-sighted and I need to have big fonts. I increased the font on the Nexus to HUGE and it didn't make a difference. I think the font size changed 2 points at best. It was ridiculous. I have no problem seeing with my Kindle.

The device is slick and it's fast but again...I feel the Kindle was the better deal.
I will never, I repeat never ever buy an ereader or some other similarly limited (read: branded) piece of technology. I got a bit of hands on time with my mom's Kindle Fire and that's okay. I mean, I wasn't jumping over the moon but it was nice. I wasn't a fan of the way they edited the OS at all. The Nook tablets (got a bit of time with one from my cousin) are... horrendously and stupidly disappointing. Dear God. It just... It didn't seem like there were any apps at all and it just seemed so... I don't know. It was disappointing.

Now, in terms of regular tablets I've had two. I had the Toshiba Thrive... which I admit was a bit of a mistake on my part. It just... Mmm. It was nice for a while but then it was just... The novelty wore off. About three months ago though, I got the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, which is SOOO much better. If I ever have to go for a new tablet (or phone), I'll go with something from Asus (I like their products and they update in a pretty timely manner) or Google themselves.

The point of this rant is that I find ereaders hugely disappointing and limited. Besides, Amazon has practically made any tablet able to turn into a Kindle with the Kindle app and the appstore they run being available for any Android device.

So, to finish up this rant I've had a bit of time with the Nexus 7 from a friend and I'd definitely recommend this product over any ereader or say different tablet (be careful choosing a tablet from manufacturers like Samsung or such, given many have horrible OS update track records).
Not all ereaders are tablets though Toungue. I live my kindle with the e-ink but I wouldn't buy a tablet.
(2012-12-30, 02:22 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Not all ereaders are tablets though Toungue. I live my kindle with the e-ink but I wouldn't buy a tablet.

Okay, the ereader tablet versions. :B The regular ereaders are fine because they're all like ereader-y. Not some tablet and ereader bastard child.
Quote:Amazon has practically made any tablet able to turn into a Kindle with the Kindle app and the appstore they run being available for any Android device.

You can't run the Amazon Prime videos from a Google Play app. You need a Kindle or other compatible device (Roku).

To call the Kindle Fire or Kindle HD an Ereader is a big understatment. They are not in the same category. That's like calling a iPhone an MP3 player.
(2013-01-02, 06:59 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]That's like calling a iPhone an MP3 player.

Well, technically, iPhones play MP3's.

/nerdhat
What Labrocca meant is that though the device can display ebooks (or MP3s), it isn't limited to that function.
Pages: 1 2