MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Script Encoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Release the plugin as open source. People don't often pirate open source material, you don't need to mess with encoding, and you're being more helpful to the community.
(2013-01-01, 12:11 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Release the plugin as open source. People don't often pirate open source material, you don't need to mess with encoding, and you're being more helpful to the community.

I would as I am an OS fan, but I am looking to selling licenses as I trying to get some extra cash. When I am getting in income for it, I wouldn't mind releasing open source things.
Open source doesn't stop you from selling licenses one bit, y'know.
(2013-01-04, 10:41 PM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Open source doesn't stop you from selling licenses one bit, y'know.

Indeed it doesn't stop you from selling licenses. But will most likely stop others from buying licenses.
(2013-01-09, 06:08 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]But will most likely stop others from buying licenses.
Is that you purely speculating or do you actually have some evidence to support this?
(2013-01-11, 07:07 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-09, 06:08 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]But will most likely stop others from buying licenses.
Is that you purely speculating or do you actually have some evidence to support this?

Most people would get something for free rather than having to pay for it if possible.
(2013-01-11, 07:10 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Most people would get something for free rather than having to pay for it if possible.
Again, do you have any evidence to support the idea that selling licenses for an open source work would discourage buying?
(2013-01-11, 07:18 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-11, 07:10 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Again, do you have any evidence to support the idea that selling licenses for an open source work would discourage buying?

If user A buys open source product from user B and releases it for free, where is user C going to get it from? User A or user B? There's no "evidence" either way but using logic and human nature we can deduce the likely answer.
You call that logic? I call it flawed reasoning.

If user A buys non-open source product from user B and releases it for free (aka piracy), where is user C going to get it from? User A or user B? There's no "evidence" either way but using logic and human nature we can deduce the likely answer.
McDonalds is offering McMenus for free today. Burguer King is not. Where do you have lunch if you have to pick one? I am assuming of course that the recipes are exactly the same, it is just the name that changes. I believe the answer is rather obvious. Evidence is not needed, it is common sense.
Pages: 1 2 3