MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Layouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good luck with your new startup. I agree with you, people do need to start somewhere.

It's like people who want to run a forum, you have to open your very first one to get you started, so why not do it with themes/graphics?
The theme is not truly awful - it is just that you are trying some things that maybe need a bit more work.

I am now going to savage your icon choices Smile

In the header and the offlocks you have definitely tried to get a cohesive look - +1 for that. BUT you have elected to use images in your header and in those images the font is distorted. Go back to your image editor and give the images a little bit of padding and stop stretching the font. If you want a look like that (elongated font) then you are going to have to do it in a lot more places to make it look like the rest of the theme. Alternatively, try and keep them in the same style as the header logo font.

Making a theme is hard - you need to be clear what look you are going for - I split them into chunky, fussy, typography-driven, sleek and unique. Right now you are at fussy - you need to head for sleek (unique is a bit much to ask for a new theme from a very new theme maker).

Look at the themes you like - ask yourself what you like about them and then get all that together in a theme - and then start to make it flow as a whole.

Color - graphics - font.
(2012-12-31, 04:19 AM)J Greig Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck with your new startup. I agree with you, people do need to start somewhere.

It's like people who want to run a forum, you have to open your very first one to get you started, so why not do it with themes/graphics?

Exactly. Its not like I am selling things right off the bat. I am going to release free themes before paid ones and obviously after I improve some. Toungue I just needed my own work space for it, which is why I made the site. Thanks for the comments Greig Smile

(2012-12-31, 04:20 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]The theme is not truly awful - it is just that you are trying some things that maybe need a bit more work.

I am now going to savage your icon choices Smile

In the header and the offlocks you have definitely tried to get a cohesive look - +1 for that. BUT you have elected to use images in your header and in those images the font is distorted. Go back to your image editor and give the images a little bit of padding and stop stretching the font. If you want a look like that (elongated font) then you are going to have to do it in a lot more places to make it look like the rest of the theme. Alternatively, try and keep them in the same style as the header logo font.

Making a theme is hard - you need to be clear what look you are going for - I split them into chunky, fussy, typography-driven, sleek and unique. Right now you are at fussy - you need to head for sleek (unique is a bit much to ask for a new theme from a very new theme maker).

Look at the themes you like - ask yourself what you like about them and then get all that together in a theme - and then start to make it flow as a whole.

Color - graphics - font.

I have to say I agree completely Big Grin I have decided to pull the MyBook theme out of the download pool to improve it. After investigating it more, I noticed many errors or bad format. I still think it looked better than I would have thought for my first theme but still, it needs work. Smile So I will be working on it. Ha. I rushed into it too quickly.

Thanks for the comments.
(2012-12-31, 03:42 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]My God, some of you folks just don't like new startups do you, lol.

Wish you Good luck with your startup! Big Grin
(2012-12-31, 07:34 AM)miner Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-31, 03:42 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]My God, some of you folks just don't like new startups do you, lol.

Wish you Good luck with your startup! Big Grin

Thank ya Smile I think I added you on my FB recently!?
To all those who are complaining as to why he'd open his forum just like that - well to be honest people open forums with no content, etc. So, why not? He paid for the domain, he paid for the hosting, he's having legit fun with it. If anything I learned on this site that people have so many different tastes, what you might think it's crappy, someone thinks it's amazing.

Either way, I know Shawn and I know that he's open for suggestions and that he'll actually try to listen unlike other people. The theme he designed for SMF was actually pretty decent so I know he can do better as time goes by.

My suggestion though, play with CSS3 a bit more Shawn, or do a rough mock-up on Photoshop first.
Where is a LIKE button when you need it, MyBB! Big Grin

I do admit, the forum is bare at the moment but I can go on extreme posting sprees and get good content in there in no time. I just mainly posted the link to announce my dabbles in the theme design world of MyBB Toungue I am also developing a few mods, but I will be keeping those 2 things extremely top secret for now.

The theme I made is nice but with your suggestions and ideas of my own, I will (am already) be adjusting it. FMB, yes, CSS3 is something I need to use haha and probably will. I want to round corners I think.

Anyways, I am always open to suggestions but if you just want to say that "you shouldn't of start a forum" bs, save your typing and go type it to someone who actually cares because I don't and if you don't like that, write to your politicians, LOL.
Should be pretty easy - on .thead do the code below for left and right TOP corners (also on tborder if you use it)
.thead {
border-radius: 3px 3px 0px 0px;
}

If you want ALL corners then use
.thead {
border-radius: 3px;
}
Thank you ma'am Smile
Looks good. Good Luck with your site!
Pages: 1 2