MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email standard forms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
MyBB heavily depends on email addresses - from limiting number of accounts per email to banning to checking for known spammers. However, it is relatively easy to full MyBB into not recognizing two email addresses as being the same. MyBB should store a standardized version of each member's email address as well as how they entered it on registration.

Some examples for standardizing:
1. Host names / domains are case insensitive. [email protected] is the same as [email protected]. Our standardized field should either store the domain name in all caps or all lower letters. The username is (or is not) case sensitive based on the host.
2. GMail ignores "." in the username portion of the address. [email protected] goes to the same box as [email protected] . This is an easy way for people using GMail to create throw-away addresses. A standard GMail address should have all periods stripped from the username portion.
3. GMail (and a few other hosts) allow a comment in the username by using a "+". [email protected] is the same as [email protected] .

I'm sure there are other tricks spammers use which could easily bypass our filters.
Some good points. I never new anobout GMail allow comment in the username like that. I personally think that all email should be changed to all lower-case.
And for once...can we have the ability to customize the email and style it add our logo etc?
(2012-12-31, 09:53 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]And for once...can we have the ability to customize the email and style it add our logo etc?

It's in the language files Toungue

I really don't think this is very viable honestly. It would be rather difficult to do. We'll see what the devs have to say, however.
(2012-12-31, 09:55 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-31, 09:53 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]And for once...can we have the ability to customize the email and style it add our logo etc?

I really don't think this is very viable honestly. It would be rather difficult to do. We'll see what the devs have to say, however.

If you fellas could make a default email template that utilized say email.css in the theme that you could customize on a per-theme basis...boy oh boy...Jason would be happy.
(2012-12-31, 09:55 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't think this is very viable honestly. It would be rather difficult to do. We'll see what the devs have to say, however.

Are you talking about the original suggestion or Jason's request?

If the original regex is their best friend Toungue.
I think it is Jason's post seeing as Paul quoted it.
(2012-12-31, 04:11 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]from limiting number of accounts per email to banning to checking for known spammers.
I personally don't believe that the email address should really be used for these purposes.

The purpose of email address aliases is actually to allow users to have multiple virtual addresses pointing to one account. I don't see it being feasible to do something that will affect all email services out there, since they can choose their own address -> user mapping scheme.

(2012-12-31, 04:11 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure there are other tricks spammers use which could easily bypass our filters.
Plenty.

(2012-12-31, 06:11 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]I personally think that all email should be changed to all lower-case.
Host is case insensitive, but the thing before the @ is case sensitive. Most hosts ignore case here, but I don't believe there is a standard requirement for this.
(2012-12-31, 09:55 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]

This. There are all manner of odd quirks with all sorts of different companies offering mail. It would be pretty much impossible to filter out all these quirks for each different company for what would be very little gain indeed.

Regarding the layout and content of email notifications however, I would certainly like to see some work done there in some form.
Pages: 1 2 3