MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Arrow key pagination navigation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-01-01, 09:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that pagination in threads and forum listings should die tbh, there's very good reasons to want these separated by pages.

This option doesn't kill it though. The pagination would still be there. You would just have the benefit of pressing the right arrow to go to page 2 and so on.
I know, and I think it's a good idea. Was referring to some others' comments.
(2013-01-01, 09:38 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, I get it now, well that sucks. How does pagination avoid this (It still lists how many pages a thread has, so it must at least be counting the table rows, right?).

[/SQLnub]

What happens first is it does a SELECT COUNT query. This statement quickly gets the correct amount of rows. It is usually retrieved in MyBB using $db->fetch_field() or $db->fetch_array() and then passed to the multipage function.
(2013-01-01, 09:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that pagination in threads and forum listings should die tbh, there's very good reasons to want these separated by pages.

Such as? I am curious. The only thing I can think of is extremely large threads (e.g. the /me thread). I can't imagine scrolling through +2000 pages is too exciting. Obviously this would have to be addressed and well thought of. Perhaps some sort of a pie graph on the side with the percentage of pages you've been through. It should also be easy for users to search for posts within threads. And replying to a thread should be a breeze of course. Other than that, I see no reason not to implement infinite scrolling.

In fact, I don't see these things as downsides. They are simply adaptations that need to be made in order to implement a better way to load more content. Pagination was not as good of an idea to begin with. The only reason pagination was adopted is because something like infinite scrolling was not possible in the early years of the internet.

We've all grown used to paginated threads and forum listings. And it would feel strange at first to browse a thread in an endless fashion, but overall I think it would be a much smoother experience, particularly for mobile users and the like.
I want to see a conversation in the middle of a thread. How do I accomplish this?
If you look at a tumblr archive, you can either scroll forever (Or until the pictures/posts end), or skip to a certain month. Why not do the same with this? Endless scrolling or skip to a page/post number. That said the tumblr archives are horribly slow so performance wise it might not be the best idea.
Define conversation. I have some ideas on what you mean, but I'm not sure.

(2013-01-01, 11:06 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]If you look at a tumblr archive, you can either scroll forever (Or until the pictures/posts end), or skip to a certain month. Why not do the same with this? Endless scrolling or skip to a page/post number. That said the tumblr archives are horribly slow so performance wise it might not be the best idea.

Where can I see this? I'm not too familiar with Tumblr. Toungue But we could indeed implement something similar, perhaps skipping to the date of a post or the post number as you suggested. Not sure about skipping to a 'page' though, the idea is to get rid of the concept of pagination.
Here's an example:

http://cashcats.biz/archive
(2013-01-01, 11:07 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Define conversation. I have some ideas on what you mean, but I'm not sure.

Well, for example, in a thread about a designer I want to find discussion of a specific jacket that came out like six months ago. Since keywords like "jacket" are too common for a search to be useful, a manual search through pages based on date is the best way.

Also, if I want to see the new posts in a thread, do I have to load the entire thread first? I am just not sure endless scrolling makes sense in this case.

Maybe something like Facebook's timeline could work ...
Pagination shouldn't die IMHO. If MyBB wants to adapt something new, no problem but at least allow admins to switch between pagination and new style.
Pages: 1 2 3