MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: hbplugin (ban by IP, selected users,etc)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The hellban plugin lets you ban someone in a sense that only they see their own posts.  (and admins/mods)

Basically it bans the person without the person knowing they've been banned.  Other registered users and guests won't see anything they post or reply to.  It's great!

What I'd LOVE is if somehow that could be taken a step further, with these methods increasing how many ways an admin can "fool" an unwanted guest!

I'd like to be able to "hellban" an IP Address.  ALL posts from that IP would be "ghosted" so nobody else could see them, but ALL users logging in from that specific IP will still see all posts.  This basically means if somebody is viewing the forum as 2 different accounts and as a guest (3 browsers) in an effort to detect if one of their accounts got Hellbanned, this will still fool them.

Next, I'd like to be able to assign "See Hellbanned posts" permissions to specific users.  Any users I select SHOULD see the posts of ONLY the specific Hellbanned user I choose to assign their view premissions to.  So, for example if I Hellban "Sarah" and I know "Tim" is dating her... I might also want to make it so Tim CAN see all Sarah's posts and everything about Sarah's account appears normal to Tim.  Neither of them would have a clue that Sarah was Hellbanned.

Options to toggle/interchange the above features would be awesome too.  Meaning, use the "see hellbanned posts" for a specific Hellbanned user by IP address instead of User if I want.  Or, if I am choosing a user who can "see" another user's Hellbanned posts, I'd like to extend that "viewing power" to the IP addresses of the user I gave the "viewing power" too.  So that way, even if "Tim" logs out and logs in as another account name, he'll still see all of "Sarah's" posts even though she is Hellbanned.

I think this would be incredibly useful for a lot of people aside from myself.  I know personally, these features would be a dream come true for me.

Anyone think they can make this work?

(if I posted this in the wrong area, or this is not the type of request you guys can do... please let me know)
Did I post this in the correct spot? If there is a better space for it based on what I'm asking/specifying, please let me know.

Is there truly no one who would see reasons to help code this? I imagine this feature would help TONS of forum admins fight off spammers, trolls, and other troublemakers.
I would love to see this. The problems with the current attempts is that it affects all of the user's past posts, not only the ones going forward.