MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: changing the copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi im aware that the mybb copyright is staying there. However, i seen a few mybb sites with the copyright changed instead of been "Mybb" it is "There site".

Is that possible? will they get mybb support help or are they automatically pushed away since copyright has changed?

Is it legal to do that? If so can i buy the copyrights to my site or i cant?

Also im planning to edit the Default mybb theme. If i edit it and make it different by a bunch could i had a copy right to it since it doesnt have one? im curious because i wouldnt want another forum to use it, trying to make mine unique.

These are curiosity question as im not planning to do any actions until told so. I can not lose Mybb Support since im sorta new to mybb.
Thanks
visit my site jSourceGen ,ignore the blankness since its new but register please Big Grin
It may be possible they were given permission to remove it, but it's unlikely.
(2013-01-03, 09:05 AM)Beardy Wrote: [ -> ]It may be possible they were given permission to remove it, but it's unlikely.

Users can change it to whatever they like, as per the LGPL license, but we won't provide them with support.

OP, you're free to add your own copyright, but removing ours will result in you being denied support on these forums.

As stated in the footer template:

Quote:MyBB is free software developed and maintained by a volunteer community.
It would be much appreciated by the MyBB Group if you left the full copyright and "powered by" notice intact,
to show your support for MyBB. If you choose to remove or modify the copyright below,
you may be refused support on the MyBB Community Forums.

This is free software, support us and we'll support you.
(2013-01-03, 09:17 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 09:05 AM)Beardy Wrote: [ -> ]It may be possible they were given permission to remove it, but it's unlikely.

Users can change it to whatever they like, as per the LGPL license, but we won't provide them with support.

OP, you're free to add your own copyright, but removing ours will result in you being denied support on these forums.

As stated in the footer template:

Quote:MyBB is free software developed and maintained by a volunteer community.
It would be much appreciated by the MyBB Group if you left the full copyright and "powered by" notice intact,
to show your support for MyBB. If you choose to remove or modify the copyright below,
you may be refused support on the MyBB Community Forums.

This is free software, support us and we'll support you.

okay i dont mind leaving the copyright for the software but im more curious about the default theme the mybb download comes with. DOes that theme have a copyright? It doesnt seem so since it doesnt say "theme created by Mybb, etc". If its not copyrighted can i after editing and making it unique put it as "Created by jSourceGen.net" obviously underneath it will also say "Copyrighted by Mybb etc"
There is no copyright for the theme, the theme is freely available for use, modification, and redistribution. The "Powered By MyBB" copyright notice must stay in tact to receive support here. You can do whatever you like with your forum and its contents providing it complies with the LGPL license (it's not particularly limiting but it does hold some minor restrictions) and your forum complies with our support eligibility policy (non legal, but comes with its own price for failure to comply) which you can read here: [Docs: Help-Support_eligibility].