MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Posts appear "live" before your eyes as they happen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
VB has a feature or plugin that allows you to stare at a thread and as people reply, their replies appear right there on screen.

Is there an option in MyBB that does this, and if so, what's it called?

If it's a plugin, what would I search for? Not sure what to call it.
That would be a function where the server is checked for new posts periodically - an AJAX function.

As far as I know - that plugin does not exist for MyBB - and indeed you would have to be careful where you used it as it would be haevy on server resources.

The nearest thing I can think of is an older plugin by Aries Belgium called While You were Typing - which checks for the presence of new posts in a thread when you reply.

I guess that could be modified, but really the users should be posting about the board, not staring at threads Big Grin
Crayo brought up a thread on this subject some time back. It was mainly brought up here because we were discussing the idea of implementing it for the discussion threads he has for live events on WWE Forums, at the time I was planning on creating the plugin for it but I never really found the time to focus much on it and the idea just seemed to fade-out.

My reply in that thread pretty much sums up my views on the entire subject of live-reloading, but it's quite a lengthy read.
That's interesting you mention wrestling because my site is a wrestling RPing site. lol We get a lot of times where people are posting so rapidly that it just made sense to ask about this feature.

I'll check out that thread. Thanks for the help!
Thank you for the link Beardy - I remembered it had been discussed, but not exactly where.