MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merge phpbb3 to mybb from different databases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi,

I have a phpbb3 forum on webserver X.

On my new webserver Y I've just installed the latest mybb 1.6.9.

So, the phpbb3 and the mybb board are not running on the same webserver and/or databases.

Is it possible to merge the old phpbb3 with the mybb board, although they are both running on different servers and databases?

I thought I could just backup all the phpbb3 tables, import them on my new webserver an merge them with the mybb board. But right now, I don't know if this is really possible?

Any hints, advice or tutorial for me?

Thanks for your help!
Install MyBB on the same server as your phpBB3 forum, run MyBB merge to convert the database, then download the database to your PC.

Restore that database to your new MyBB installation
hi, thanks for your reply.

is there a way without installing mybb on the old server?

oh I see, installing phpbb3 on the new server, I guess... Wink
not sure if the merge system needs the phpbb3 files... attachments/avatars maybe?

Make a backup of what you have now and just try it with the tables...
(2013-01-05, 09:44 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]not sure if the merge system needs the phpbb3 files... attachments/avatars maybe?

Make a backup of what you have now and just try it with the tables...

The merge system will recover almost everything.

Yes you could put a new installation of phpBB3 on the new server, and during the install point it to a new database, then all you have to do is restore the original database into it, that would work as well.

Be warned though, I recently used merge, whilst I think it's very good, we actually lost about 5 days posts, and some other information, not sure what happened there.
Better to have it both on x server !