MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which Wampserver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to download Wampserver, but I am clueless as to which to download on this page: http://www.wampserver.com/en/ (scroll to downloads). I think that the 64 bits/32 bits refers to the build of Windows I have (right?) - my question is, I have 64 bit, does it therefore matter if I get the PHP 5.3, 5.4 or Apache 2.4 download? What difference does it make?
I'd say just try Apache 2.4 unless you come across any problems specifically regarding that version. The only difference between the packages is which version of PHP and Apache they come bundled with, and 'Wampserver (64 bits & Apache 2.4) 2.2E' comes with the more recent version of both.

You'll only really need to worry about version numbers if there's something specific you need that may have been changed or deprecated from an earlier version.

Also, if you're just looking for a quick local setup you might also want to give EasyPHP a try.

Edit: looks like EasyPHP also have a webserver package now which comes with a lot more than you might need, you'll probably just want the e.devserver in the left column of the page above.
I find that the Apache 2.2 variants are more reliable.
I'll be honest, when I looked at WampServer downloads, I was confused.

Why? To get this, you lose that. To get that, you lose something else.

XAMPP takes Apple's model of few/one choice(s).
I've run XAMPP and WAMP and I find WAMP to be more reliable and stable.
I guess to each their own. I am guessing you're not as concerned about Apache/PHP versions like I am. I have always been one for using the latest software.
Don't worry though. I don't (and won't) apply that philosophy to a production environment/server. I just stick to the repos for the most part. Toungue
(2013-01-09, 07:41 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]I guess to each their own. I am guessing you're not as concerned about Apache/PHP versions like I am. I have always been one for using the latest software.
Don't worry though. I don't (and won't) apply that philosophy to a production environment/server. I just stick to the repos for the most part. Toungue

For my local test I don't need to care about patches and updates to software. I just need to run php, apache, and mysql. On production servers I try to be cutting edge with latest versions of just about everything.
I agree with labrocca. I have used XAMPP and I prefer Wampserver.

I try to keep my versions upgraded to match my actual hosting setup so that I know anything that will run on my Wamp will run correctly online.
So should I install 64 bit or 32 bit? I have a 64 bit laptop. In addition, which Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package - x86 or x64?
(2013-01-10, 06:41 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 64 bit laptop.

That should answer your question, x64 is for 64 bit laptops and desktops. 32 bit for x86 variants.
Pages: 1 2