MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can rarely find a theme that suits my exact needs, so not being able to afford a custom theme to my spec, I end up customising an existing theme to my requirements.

My question is, and what point when you customise an existing theme can you say that you have done enough to call it your own.

In my particular case:

Changed the theme colours
Altered the navbar
Changed the quick reply editor
My own custom message bar

I am still giving credit to the original author.
I think it depends on the theme - some themes are very header/usercp centric and keeping those aspects would really mean that the core of the theme had been kept.

I quite like the Apart Themes - I like the way Justin put the wrapper on the theme to keep the forum widths reasonable even on very large screens, and for a long time I used Apart as the base for my themes. I then had a phase of using Minimal all the time.. but now I just have a stock theme skeleton I made based on default theme where I have the postbit/forumbuttons and so on as css, message editor widths "fixed" , a forum wrapper and a sticky footer. Then I start theming it.
I ask the question because the theme I have based mine on is "Italian theme", being new to MyBB I've had a lot of problems getting the odd plugin to work with it, so it would appear that there are a few code tweaks within the core code.
Being an honest sort of bloke I think that because of this, claiming it as my work would be bit naughty.
(2013-01-09, 11:28 AM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]I ask the question because the theme I have based mine on is "Italian theme", being new to MyBB I've had a lot of problems getting the odd plugin to work with it, so it would appear that there are a few code tweaks within the core code.
Being an honest sort of bloke I think that because of this, claiming it as my work would be bit naughty.

Big Grin

Well, that makes a refreshing change. So many people do not seem to recognise the work of others, so kudos to you for that.

What you could do (I have done this several times) is in the footer you could have "theme by Spangle" based on (link to original author/theme here).