MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unsure about upgrading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've never upgraded myBB before, but I'd like to learn - and make sure it's been done correctly. x: The person who hosted me installed the board for me so I've never messed with uploading... the entire forum software and such before.

I looked at the directions on how to upgrade and it just says "upload ALL" the files. Where do I upload each file? I can generally follow where to put it by the file folder in the .zip download file, but I'm really afraid I'm going to crash my site and put it in the wrong place, lmfao?

If anyone could give me some really detailed instructions? Or maybe even do a join.me and give me a hand, that would be GREAT. I'd hate to see my site explode because I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.
See: [Docs: Upgrading]

It's pretty simple. Just make sure you have a backup in case you do mess it up. Smile
That's what I had originally looked at. And this isn't exactly clear to me.
"Upload ALL of the files and folders inside the package (from inside the "Upload" folder if using the latest version/full package), including the ./install/ folder (if it exists), overwriting the existing copies of the files in your file system."

Am I in the wrong place? I am supposed to use the FTP, correct? What folder in the FTP am I uploading all of these files to? Or can I just click the main "FTP" button on my screen and upload everything at once and overwrite it?

For that matter, I have my myBB forum database backed up. Does that automatically back up my FTP, too? Or is there some way to make a backup of my FTP stuff, too?

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I've never done this before. I'm new to having my own server and such, so I'm still learning, but none of this is really
There's no backup for your FTP unless your host has a backup system. I've seen this on some CPanels where you can recover specific FTP files.

And yes, you have to upload them all via FTP. It should be pretty safe to, unless there were custom modifications made. The old owner should have told you about them if they were done.

Commonly, look for a "public_html" folder, that's where you upload to.
To be sure, just match the files there to the ones you're uploading. They're nearly the exact same folders and file names.
All I did to upgrade my forum was drag and drop the upload folder, however it's different, depending on what you're upgrading. As it tells you in the steps. I only had to upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.6.9, so it was easy as pie.
I used to be confused about this too.

Open up your FTP client, download all of your files to a folder on your desktop. Then download a database backup, and save to your desktop.

Take the MyBB upgrade files, replace the files on your server with the updated files using your FTP program, then navigate to yourforum/install/ and click on the upgrade button.