MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does everyone think of forum games? Me personally I think it is useless spam. I usually see it on a new forum with around 10 members and they are counting to 1000 or something like that. I have banned forum games on my forum and I couldn't be happier about it. I understand you can make a forum where the posts do not count, but isn't that still a waste of time to have people just replying numbers or just pointless crap?
I do not like to see topics like "count to 10000" or something like that - I think it is just rubbish content and not good for the board.

I don't mind things like word association games, or the person above you games as much - they can be a good way of getting members started posting - but in general I prefer fewer posts with a bit more quality.
I posted this sometime ago:

Quote:I think that the forum games are good for a forum. Why? Let's say that you are registered in a forum and there is nothing else to reply. You would more likely leave it and visit other time, right? That's when it comes the forum games. You go there and post stuff, no matter what it is. Hopefully, when you stop posting there, there's already a thread with a new reply about the main subject of the forum.

That's pretty much why I always create a forum games section. I don't know if I made myself clear. I have to agree with you that some of them are useless, but they still do the job I want. In a way, yes, I'm trying to boost the post count of the forum, but not of a member, the post count there doesn't count.

I don't really know if what I said makes sense for you, but so far it's working with me. Instead of having a chat, I decided to allow members to post freely in the forum games section without any strict rules, it doesn't count to the post count of a member after all.
To me it is all about what you expect out of your board.

I personally don't mind a bunch of 'rubbish' posts as long as they are contained within a thread/forum that is labelled and described as a place for rubbish. In the 'open forum' replies need to be mature and well-thought-out, but imo people need a release valve.

We have A Games forum just for inane 'next poster', 'last poster' and 'word association' type games and a Pit for anything that doesn't fit in that.

My forum is in no way intended to be serious nor do we as a staff look for 'success' as most people would describe it. We only want to build a community that people can come and be themselves in- not some overbearing, over-moderated forum.

That being said, if I had a forum that was actually about anything, there would need to be more specific post-content regulations. But still I would want to have a forum that people can just post insanity in . . . it is always my favorite part of any forum.
Who cares? If your members like to post in forum games but you hate the spam, then make a forum game sub-forum and remove the post count ability from that section. That way it's out of the way and can't be abused. Sometimes people make rules for the sake of making rules, it's ridiculous.
(2013-01-10, 09:20 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares? If your members like to post in forum games but you hate the spam, then make a forum game sub-forum and remove the post count ability from that section. That way it's out of the way and can't be abused. Sometimes people make rules for the sake of making rules, it's ridiculous.

^ This. I have a forum games section which has post count disabled and mainly consists of fun games for new members or old members to just kick back and chill in for a while. It doesn't constitute a lot of forum activity and that's the way it should be.
If you feel that a majority of the posts on your forum are from forum games, then you're not doing it right.
I think it's a great way to keep members active. My old forum had threads like that, it's a good way for the members to interact without actually having to contribute anything. Win win for everyone I think. My forum was a gaming forum though, if you have a more serious forum I don't know if it would be different.
ZEJ's got FGL with around 4000 posts in it but the forum as a whole is currently just over 16000 so that's 12000 posts in other sections. In no way the majority of posts. Post count is also disabled in there as well as Comings & Goings.
I enjoy the guess the picture game, where you post pictures from a video game, quite fun to let them take out pokari resort from the original Ratchet and Clank and other oldskoolers.