MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: First Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've started a forum, which currently has 0 members. And it's on forumotion. This is because I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay for hosting and all that just in case it didn't work out. I am a complete noob. So no need to tell me I'm stupid or I don't know what I'm doing. I already know these things. I've already downloaded MyBB 1.6.9, I just don't know what to do with it. What I'm looking for right now, is someone to just explain to me how MyBB works. Or link me to somewhere that explains it. Do I have to already have a forum, or can I make one here? I've looked throughout the site and read some stuff but I'm still confused. Mainly, how do I start the forum and then use MyBB. For me, I used forumotion also cause it was simple. I just clicked a button and bam, I had a forum. I configured the settings and what not and then thats it. But it looks very unprofessional to have .forumotion.com on your forum. So this is why I've turned to MyBB. Now, if someone could link me to a beginners guide on how to start a forum and install MyBB. Or explain the process to me, I'd be very greatful. I realize all of you here know what you're doing, and are probably very good at it. And generally people like me are flamed on forums for being stupid and told to gtfo. But, I'm here to learn, not because I know things already. And I'm sure everyone of you were at the point I'm at now, you weren't born knowing how to make forums and use MyBB. And it could be that it's very simple. It probably is. But I am very bad at starting things by myself. I often have lots of questions and just in general, I'm dumb. I can and want to learn though. And just because, here's the forum that I currently have, with 0 members:

http://fantasyfootballforum.forumotion.com/

Also, I am willing to start from scratch (which isn't much) considering all
I have is the topics set up.
In order to start a forum using MyBB you have to have a server space and a domain name to host the forum on.

You can sign up with a hosting provider (I like hawkhost, pretty cheap and also reliable if you are not plugin mad) and then you can upload the MyBB files to your server. Then you install the forum and start configuring.

If you would like help there are lots of people on here who will help you to set up (though they might not do it for free). Post in requests/services/jobs forum asking for someone to help you.