MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Reason of MyBB 1.8's big delay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2013-01-13, 07:39 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-13, 07:37 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-13, 05:55 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-13, 02:25 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Well, MyBB 2.0 may not easy to integrate with other scripts (especially for PHP noobs), since they're using 3rd party Yii framework.

On the contrary, MyBB 2.0 will have APIs that will make integrating even easier.

I'm curious now, Paul. How easy would it be to connect MyBB to a standalone (ie not included with the MyBB 2.0 download) instance of Yii and develop a website on top of it?

I'm not sure, I'm not fully acquainted with the MVC architecture. You'd have to ask someone like Nathan or Euan T. Also, it's not set in stone that we're using Yii.

I realise it's not certain that Yii will be used, 'twas merely an example.
(2013-01-13, 07:44 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Also bear in mind that we haven't done much work on 2.0 and a lot can change in the years we're looking at for development.

Saying that, I'm hoping to have a JSON based API that requires access tokens (similar to IPB'S XML-RPC API) that allows requests to preform CRUD operations on Users, Threads, Posts - basically all of the core data types (aka the Models). Seeing as I'm not on the development team, I can't assure this will happen - but it's what I would like to see.

Making a call to said API would be extremely simple from outside apps. Alternatively, it should be possible to autoload the core dependencies into your apps and use them. Say we built 2.0 on Laravel 4. One should be able to simply autoload the required model (g: the User model) and Eloquent then act as if we were using the Laravel core (this is entirely untested and purely hypothetical):

$user = User::with(['posts', 'threads', 'likes'])->where('username', '=', 'SOMUSERNAME')->first();

// $user is now an Eloquent result object with several attributs including a 3 sub members for the Post, Thread and Like Models

// We can also delete the user if we want to $user->delete();

// Or updat it:
// $user->username = 'Euan T.';
// $user->save();

I'd much prefer Laravel over anything else actually -- those functions are incredibly simple to write code for and very descriptive about what they're for. Toungue
I've already mentioned my thoughts on Laravel elsewhere but let's not get into that - it's not the purpose of this topic after all Toungue
Euan has pretty much summed up everything I was going to say. Smile
I'm pumped for 1.8, but I can't help but wonder what killer features people are expecting to be so impatient about it. It's just a clean up operation, basically.
(2013-01-13, 06:38 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Which feature is that martec? Not all 'new' features have been implemented yet.

number 7 of this (Change Allow multiple choice in poll to Maximum vote per user)

http://community.mybb.com/thread-120517.html

if possible with plugin ok too...
but it should not be easy to be implemented via plugin
(2013-01-13, 10:26 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pumped for 1.8, but I can't help but wonder what killer features people are expecting to be so impatient about it. It's just a clean up operation, basically.

I'm just looking forward to the move to jQuery personally. It means I don't have to worry about dealing with Prototype any longer when I'm more fluent with jQuery.
in before Leefish. :V
@martec, it hasn't been done yet but it will.

Brad hits it square one. This is a clean up operation if anything. It already runs quicker than 1.6.9.
(2013-01-13, 11:46 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]in before Leefish. :V

* Leefish looks genuinely confused.

I really do look forward to 1.8 and jQuery - the file size is smaller to download the JQuery library (good) and jQuery is easier to work with for a JS noob like me.

I am still interested to see 1.6.1* with the performance improvements from Rasmus though.
Personally, take your time to make this right, since who knows if I'll ever be able to use 2.0 on my current projects Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10