MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB search engine friendly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I own over 100+ sites. Punbb does get indexed fairly well imho. However main contributing factors are inbound links. Also Google is a big damn mystery. With their big daddy update the past year it's been hectic trying to guess wtf they are doing. I have had sites indexed, deindexed, and reindexed. SEO SUCKS!

Also isn't punbb SEF urls from the beginning? And mybb has it's archive mode which imho is very SEF.
punbb has dynamic urls as mybb. Archive mode is very sef in mybb but it is really mistery for me why is mybb slower at indexing than punbb. I will not talk about ranking since I have no idea how mybb is doing but for indexing there is a probem. Maybe it was because of all those google updates this year but I still see this trend with one of my mybb forums. Has lots of backlinks and google is hitting it all day long but pages just don't get indexed....
The main reason for punbb getting indexed better and or getting higher ranking is because it contains less links on pages (and ofcourse less useless pages) and also less duplicating. Here, a threaded view, a printable version, an archive version, all result in lots of duplicating.

There is a reason for as why a SEO modification exists -- don't assume I have a lot of time to waste on anything useless Wink ...
Asad_Niazi Wrote:There is a reason for as why a SEO modification exists -- don't assume I have a lot of time to waste on anything useless Wink ...

Right. Clear, human-friendly URLs make a huge difference.

Sure, a plain MyBB will get indexed. But usually you can dig for search results way down low in the SERPs unless you have very specific keywords.

I'm not speaking from theory. I run several Joomla sites. The pages usually have URLs such as mydomain.com/index.php?content=view&id=31&Itemid=99. (Same principle that all forum software I know uses, the URL doesn't tell you a thing.) With a good SEO extension, you get clear URLs such as mydomain.com/lawnmowers (just as an example). And guess what ... within a few weeks the pages shoot upwards in the SERPs like you never knew. Search engines just love my pages and they rank very high now.

I have yet to convert from phpBB to MyBB with a largish community I'm running. Still waiting for 1.2.2 to come out before I do. But one thing is for sure, I will be running Asad_Niazi's SEO plugin, and I'm very thankful for his work.

Kind regards,
Zorro
One thing I like to do is add H1 taqs to the templates for the title of the thread. I been contemplating using your SEO mod but do you feel it's ready for prime time?

Actually...you just gave me a great idea!

Did you guys know that google indexed PDF's. What do you think about the PRINT version make a PDF for download? I have always wanted to experiment with this. I may have to make a mod Smile

Asad_Niazi- I am sure your SEO mod isn't worthless....I just wanted to point out that it's not required to get indexed. I personally would be happier if it was built into mybb and you could turn it on via admincp.
yep I am using H1 tags on lifetalkcafe.com .... hope it will work Big Grin
Search Engine optimization is very difficult because you have a very little control on the content. Using an out-of-the-box default MyBB/IPB/vBulletin results in lots of duplication (3 versions of same topic -- for vb/ipb it gets 2 I think because of that javascript menus making links inaccessible to search engines), which results in lower search engine ranking. Ofcourse, it gets indexed, but many a time it gets lower ranking unless there's a huge number of incoming, relevant and quality links. That's the case in MyBB official forums, the other sites linking to it usually talk about a "forum software" and that's what MyBB official forum talks about in most pages, so google finds these as relevant incoming links. Another contributing factor to MyBB's forum ranking is the high PR pages/sites linking to it. MyBB would rank even higher if it was well-optimized for SE (well, from beginning...).

But it's difficult for a new forum to achieve that many quality backlinks and then the only thing you can do is to make the site SE friendly itself. And search engine friendliness is all about determining how google adds/give ranking to a site based on the page content, URL, title, keywords etc. On-page optimization isn't really possible in forums, but yeah H1 should be a little helpful considering the titles are meaningful and the keywords used in the titles are repeated on the page.

Try googling for the following terms: (and no, I got these things right with just 2-3 backlinks, now I have enough backlinks though -- ohh and you're looking for spicefuse)
mybb mods
mybb seo
mybb portal mod