MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database username/password error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

When trying to isntall MyBB onto my server I get the following error,

Error
There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:
•Could not connect to the database server at "" with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

I have Googled and saw a couple of other posts that had the same issue. From what I could tell, it was a configuration error with their hostname, or the database they were pointing their installtion to did not exist. I am running Server 2012, have PHP 5.4 installed; along with IIS 8.0 and SQL Server 2012. I got PHP and SQL installed without an issue, and ISS up and running. I can get as far as passing the requirements check, but when it comes to database configuration, I get the error listed above.

I created a database called mybb. For the SQL server, it is set to logon using Windows authorization. The owner of the mybb database is my domain username; which is a domain admin account if that matters (i.e., mydomain\user). I try and logon with the following credentials/info:

Database Engine: MYSQL Improved
Database Server Hostname: servername (not FQDN...such as servername.domain.local).
Database user name: my domain admin logon (tried both user and domain\user).
Database password: my domain admin login password
Database name: mybb
Table prefix: mybb_ (which is the default setting I believe)
Table encoding: UTF-8 Unicode (also default I believe)

I've tried using both windows credentials and SQL credentials with the default SQL admin of sa and the corresponding password. I'm kind of stumped where to go to now. Any help would be appreciated. Wondering if it's an NTFS setting on the actual directory?
You have it set.to use MySQLi but your SQL server is MSSQL.
Hi Stingreay,

I appreciate the response. I apologize, I had tried (and just tried it again to be safe) setting it both to MYSQLI and MYSQL, neither worked.
I'm not entirely sure if MyBB has a MSSQL driver, but if you're running SQL Server 2012 you should set the database type to MSSQL.
MyBB doesn't have a native MSSQL driver. You'll have to install MySQL for Windows.

Yes, MySQL and MSSQL are different.
(2013-01-14, 12:28 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB doesn't have a native MSSQL driver. You'll have to install MySQL for Windows.

Yes, MySQL and MSSQL are different.

Thanks Josh, that did the trick.